Pre-Twilight: Chapter Thirty-Five

Jasper POV

It has been a month since Janetta lost the baby, and she is doing alright. She is still herself, but she has many moments where she will space out. She still cries now and then. Definitely understandable. She had talked about being a mother in the past, and now she won't have the chance to.

I had never thought about having kids until her. When she first mentioned being a mother, it clicked in me. I wanted nothing more than that. To build a life with her. Marriage and a family. I knew I wanted to marry her when I locked eyes with her that first day of school. My heart was already in love with her. It only took a little while for my brain to catch up. I remember the exact moment my brain caught up. When I saw how beautiful and happy she looked during her snowball fight a few months ago. I knew then that I wanted to make her that happy forever.

When Alice had the vision about her car accident, I thought I was going to die. We ran as fast as we could to her. By the time I got there, the car had just hit her. I honestly thought she was going to die. Her friends were nowhere near as bad. She got the worst of it.

Alice called 911 while I pulled the car away from Jessica's car. I went to her, not moving her in case it would hurt more. I held my breath the entire time, not wanting to smell her blood. Finally, the EMTs arrived, and they loaded her into the ambulance. The ride felt like an eternity. They rushed her to surgery as soon as we arrived. I had to stay far away because there was going to be more of her blood exposed. Charlie called me when he got the call she was out of surgery. I ran as fast as I could to her. I was by her side the entire time, waiting for her to wake up.

When her doctor said we lost the baby. I was a mix of emotions. Despair. Because I know she wanted to be a mom, which was ripped away from her. Anger towards Jessica. For putting her in the situation to get hit. Guilt. Because I got her pregnant in the first place.

I have never heard of a vampire getting a human pregnant. Carlisle has been researching this month and found some legends about half-human, half-vampire children. The mother never survived in these stories. I wouldn't have considered believing these if we hadn't experienced this firsthand. Legends always have a little truth to them.

Janetta's POV

It's been a month. I'm doing better. I still cry every so often. Knowing that our child growing inside me died haunts me. My one chance to have a baby with the man I love. An option I didn't even know was a possibility.

The aftermath of the accident impacted more than just physically. I lost my abilities. All of them are gone. Compulsion. Telekinesis. Mind reading. Emotion reading and manipulation. That was a tough pill to swallow. I'm coping. It feels so weird, but also kind of nice. No one's thoughts in my mind. Not being able to feel people's emotions all the time. It's peaceful at times. Anna said my abilities most likely went dormant, that they could come back. Or they never could.

Jasper has been so supportive during this time. All I want is him. I crave his presence, even if it's just us doing homework silently in the same room. Also, I get to fall asleep with him every night. Perks of having a vampire boyfriend: he can easily climb into the room.

I just finished my night routine before getting some jammies to put on before bed. After putting them on, I say good night to dad and Anna and crawl into my bed. No more than 20 seconds later, Jasper's arms are around my body, holding me close.

"I love you," I say, falling asleep rather quickly.