Pre-Twilight: Chapter Twenty-Nine

The rest of the trip consisted of four things. Beach, food, shopping, and sex. Emphasis on the last one. It was as if Jasper and I couldn't keep our hands off each other. I'm glad he can be himself around me and not feel like he's holding back.

It's April now, and school has started back again. It's been jam-packed with assignments and quizzes, and tests. Jasper and I fell back into our routine. Spring break us now feels like a dream. It's not like we don't have sex anymore, but more like we are more relationship-focused.

We decided on weekly date nights and study dates on other days. He helps me with assignments and topics when I don't quite understand them. That's a perk of immortality: he's had many years to learn anything and everything.

I'm currently on my way to the cafeteria for lunch. I'm starving, as usual. I pay for my food and head to our regular table. Jess has her new friend, Cassie, sitting with her. She's known for being a bitch, so I'm going to ignore her.

"Hey, everyone." I greet them. They respond with their everyday greetings. We all catch each other up on our spring breaks. As we are all speaking, I will look over their shoulders and make eye contact with Jasper and the rest of the family.

"I'm just realizing you are so tan." Angela points out, breaking my stare with Jasper.

"I know, right. I spent most of my time on the beach. I only left to go eat and sleep."

"We can tell," Cassie says. Everyone freezes and stares at the girl.

"Excuse me?" I ask her for clarification. I see Jasper whip his head in our direction. Edward whispers something in his ear, and Jasper's face goes from shock to anger in a split second.

"You heard me. We can tell that you spent time eating on your trip." She replies.

"Cassie, what the fuck." Jess says.

"What? It's the truth."

"No, it's not. Stop being such a bitch." Jess responds. Cassie rolls her eyes. "Leave our table, please," Jess says with a lot of sass.

"Whatever." Cassie gets up and leaves the table. She walks out of the cafeteria. Some people look at our table. My eyes instantly go to Jasper. He is radiating anger and also concern. Anger for Cassie. Concern for me.

"God, she is such a bitch." Eric says.

"Yeah, what the fuck." Mike chimes in.

"I couldn't give two fucks what she thinks about me." I'll admit, I did gain a few pounds. The food in Rio was excellent. Too much Pão de queijo. That shit was addicting.

The rest of the day goes by as usual. I meet Jasper in the parking lot after the last bell. He looks as gorgeous as always.

"Hi, baby," I say to him.

"Hello, sweetheart." He responds. He kisses me softly. He sighs and looks at me. "I was ready to put that girl in her place." He seemed to get a little worked up. "You are perfect. Edward read her mind. She felt like being a bitch today and decided to take it out on you." I rolled my eyes. She said it out of boredom.

As I was driving home, I started feeling sick. Like I needed to throw up. I made it home and ran up the stairs to the bathroom. There goes my lunch. Great. I looked in the mirror and saw how pale my face was, yet I was so warm. Luckily Anna is home. I knock on her door, and she opens it.

"I was about to come to check on you. Are you okay?" She asked me.

"I feel horrible." Right after I said that, I coughed and sneezed simultaneously. I tended to do that when I was sick.

"Get in bed. I'll be in there in a minute." I do as she says. I close my door and take off my outfit of the day. I throw up an oversized t-shirt and tiny shorts. I'm burning up, and the thought of sweats makes me nauseous. I open my door and crawl into bed. I use the remote for my fan to turn it on at high speed.

Anna comes in with her little home doctor bag. She put a thermometer in my mouth and put on her stethoscope. She listened to my lungs while waiting for my temperature to show up.

She grabs the thermometer and looks at it. "100.4 degrees. You're staying home tomorrow. Rest and fluids are what you need. Also, I heard some congestion brewing in your lungs. I'll get you some medicine." She leaves and comes back quickly, a few pills in hand. "Cold medicine and decongestant."

I take them and lay in bed. She turns my lights off and cracks my door.

"I'll check in on you later." As I start to relax in bed, I text Jasper.

Guess who is sick.

You? What happened?

100.4 fever. The second I got home, I threw up.

Oh, honey. Want me to come over?

Yes, please.

I'll be there shortly.

As I waited for him to show up, the medicine kicked in, and I started dozing off. The next thing I knew, I fell asleep.