New Moon: Chapter Fifty-Five

The walk to the doors of the Volturi's chamber seemed like such a long walk. I think it was due to all the unknowns flying in the air right now. For all we know, we could be walking to our deaths. Bella and Edward are walking ahead of us. He has his hand wrapped around her, holding her close. I know he is thinking the same thing as me.

Jasper is walking next to me. I can feel his stare as we approach the chamber. I want to hold his hand. I haven't forgiven him, but I still love him and, if we are going to die, I want to die next to him. So I do it. I grab his hand and look at him. He is feeling many conflicting emotions. Guilt is the strongest. I know he feels bad, but I can't forgive him too easily. He did too much damage.

We finally got to the door of the chamber, and everything got even more serious than it already was. It hit us all at once. Jane pushes the doors open, followed by Demetri and Felix. We take a moment and are the next ones to follow behind the evil trio. I take a deep breath and prepare my mind for what is about to happen. This plan is going to take a toll on my mind and push me to my limits since I will be in the minds of multiple people at once.

"Ah, how wonderful! Bella and Janetta are alive after all!" I recognize his face from the painting of the Volturi in Carlisle's office back at the Cullen's home. This is Aro. The leader. He sounded a bit too excited when he said that. Jasper pulls me closer to him, squeezing my hand in a supportive way. He started rubbing his thumb on the back of my hand, like how he would when we were together and I needed to relax.

Two more vampires come into view. I recognize them as well from the painting. Marcus and Caius. Marcus looks miserable as fuck. I would be too if I had to be stuck with Aro all the time. His misery is radiating off of him in waves. Anger and annoyance radiate off of Caius. The boys have caused too much trouble, so it is kinda understandable.

"It is lovely to meet you two. I have seen so much about you." I know what he means, but Bella is confused.

"Aro can hear every thought your mind has ever had. So he has seen you in my thoughts." Edward explains. Bella's eyes widen.

"Wow." Damn Bella. Such a great response.

"Let us have their stories," Aro says. At first, I was confused about what he meant by that. Then, I see Marcus making his way to Aro. He takes Marcus's hands and starts to read his thoughts. I can see Marcus's thoughts as well, but I can't quite understand them. After a few moments, Marcus steps back, dropping Aro's hands. "Thank you, Marcus. That was quite interesting." Now I'm the one confused.

"Marcus can see relationships and their intensities," Edward whispers to us. Now it makes sense. "They're surprised by the intensity of you and me, as well as Janetta and Jasper."

"Both Bella and Janetta are very interesting to me. How they both are so different, but both are special." Aro turns and looks at Bella. "May I?"

She turns and looks at Edward with a questionable look. "He would like to read your mind." She nods and steps up to him. Here we go, Netta. Fuck, I hope this works.

I get into her mind and look at every memory she has of me regarding my powers. It's a lot. It takes me a moment, a vampire moment, and I can hide and replace each memory. Fuck this is taking a lot of brain power. Let's see if this works.

Bella holds out her hand, and Aro takes it instantly. He closes his eyes and lets her memories flood his mind. I instinctually squeeze Jasper's hand, using him as an anchor. I need to keep an eye on Bella's mind, as well as Aro's, to make sure the changed memories stay the way they are. He's trying to find a memory, but there is nothing there. He can't read her mind. Thank god. If anything, I have to change his memories the most. He is the one who has seen the memories. He suddenly pulls away.