Pre-Twilight: Chapter Twenty-Three

The flight to Houston went by quickly. Jasper kept me busy by playing cards with me. It was funny trying to navigate playing with such little space. I could tell he was trying to get more information from me, but I wasn't giving anything up. I want this vacation to be fun and not full of worries. We are sitting in the chairs by our gate for our plane to Rio. Everyone is pretty quiet except for Jasper and me.

"Hey. Do you want to look around for a decent place for me to find food?" I ask him.

"Sure." He smiles and stands up with me. We walk off in search of food for me.

"Thanks for coming with me. I can't stand airplane food." He lets out a laugh.

"I would say I understand, but I don't." I smile at him.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"You just seem... I don't know... Distracted?"

"I'm just worried about you." I give him a look. "But I won't bother you about it."

"I promise you. I am okay." I give him a smile which he returns. Luckily, we come up on a small café. We go in and sit. I give the waitress my order, and she goes to put it in.

"So, do I get to know the itinerary?" I ask.

"Well, we will be in Rio for a few days, and then we are taking a boat trip to an island a few hours off the coast of Rio and staying in a few houses on the beach there for the rest of the time. Carlisle and Esme own the houses we are staying in."

"Houses? As in plural?"

"Yes. I don't think you want to be in the same house as Rosalie and Emmett when they are on vacation." I give him a confused look until it hits me.

"Oh!" I let out a nervous chuckle. "Yeah, I totally don't want to be in the same house when that happens."

"Yeah. It can get pretty bad." He laughs too. "Now, because of your amazing present to us, we can go see the sights during the daytime." The waitress came out with my order and set it down on the table. We stay quiet for a moment, allowing me to eat my food and drink my coffee.

"I've never been to an actual beach before," I say, breaking the silence.

"Really? Why not?"

"It's cold back home, so there's no point in going to the beach there. And when I go to Phoenix during the summer, we only go to lakes and rivers, not the beach."

"Well, then we will be at the beach as much as possible." He says, smiling at me.

"Sounds good." We sit there, and I finish my food.

We get up, and I throw my trash away. We head back to where the rest of the Cullens are waiting. After an hour, our plane boards, and we take off for Rio.

I slept most of the twelve-hour flight. At one point, I half woke up and felt Jasper's arm around me. I passed out again right after. The next time I woke up was from Jasper lightly tapping my shoulder.

"Wake up, beautiful." He whispered in my ear. I smiled and opened my eyes to see this angel looking at me. I got up, and we got off the plane.

As we walk out of the airport, I notice Emmett and Rosalie pulling up in a pair of bright blue convertibles.

"Get in, and let's get this vacation started!" Emmett yelled from the driver's seat.