Pre-Twilight: Chapter Twenty-Two

I wake up to the smell of bacon. I open my eyes, and Jasper is still lying next to me. He is lightly stroking my hair and staring at me.

"Good morning," I say to him groggily.

"Good morning to you as well." He smiles at me.

"What time is it?"

"It's almost three. Esme is making you breakfast so that you will have some energy today."

"Sounds good. I'm going to get dressed, and I'll meet you downstairs?"

"Okay, sweetie." He kisses my head and gets out of bed. I crawl out of bed as well and grab my backpack. I go to the bathroom and start getting ready, washing my face, and brushing my teeth. I grab the outfit I packed for the airport and begin to get ready. It consists of a black tank top, leggings, and my Uggs. I decide to keep Jasper's hoodie on to stay warm. I tend to get cold in airports and on planes. I throw my hair up in a bun. That's as good as it's going to get. We are flying for four hours with a layover in Houston and then twelve hours to Rio.

I head out of Jasper's room and down the stairs. I can hear shuffling, probably them getting everything together. I walk into the kitchen and see Esme's spread for me. Bacon, pancakes, sliced apples (my favorite), and orange juice.

"Oh, Esme! Thank you." I smile and hug her.

"You are so welcome. I enjoy the cooking."

"And I enjoy the eating." She laughs at that and starts cleaning up as I dig in. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started eating. Then again, I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday. I finished within five minutes and offered to wash my dishes, but Esme insisted. I kept her company while she did them, denying me every time I tried to help. We head to the living room, where everyone is sitting on the couches. I grab my backpack and sit down next to Jasper.

"I have a present for all of you," I say. They all look up at me.

"Present?" Jasper asks. I nod and open my bag. I take out a wooden box and set it on the coffee table.

"Open it," I say. Everyone hesitates, and Carlisle picks up the box. He opens it and picks up one of the many rings in it.

"Rings?" He asks.

"Yes. Very special rings." I try to build suspense and smile at them. "Put them all on, and I'll tell you why they are special." They pass the box around and put them on. Esme is sitting next to Carlisle and puts a ring on as well. "Okay, so I felt bad that you all can't enjoy all of your spring breaks when it is very sunny outside every day. So, Anna and I made these rings for you all. They protect you from the sun, so you don't... you know... sparkle." They all stare at me in disbelief. "They only have enough magic in them to last two weeks, so it's not permanent."

"Are you serious?" Rosalie asks me.

"Dead serious." They don't laugh at my pun. "I wanted us to all have the best spring break." They all break out into smiles.

"This is amazing, Janetta," Carlisle says.

"Yeah, seriously," Jasper says. He walks over to me and kisses me.

"Edward, Jasper. Be prepared for a jet ski race." Emmett says to them. "And it won't be in the dark!" Emmett rushes over to me and picks me up. He spins me around and sets me back down. "You are amazing Netta."

"Netta. That means we can go shopping!" Alice says, beaming. Her and her love for shopping.

"Okay, but not too much. You tend to go overboard."

"I do not!" She defends herself. We all look around and look back at her.

"Yes, you do." We all say. She rolls her eyes and sits back. The group disperses, and it's just Alice, Jasper, and I left.

"So, Alice." She looks up at me. "How are things going between you and Lyvia," I smirk.

"Oh my gosh, freaking amazing!"

"That's great. She is smitten with you."

"I am too. I have never met anyone like her."

"I know she doesn't know yet about you and your family. Do you plan on telling her soon?"

"Yeah. I'm just finding the right time." She lightly smiles.

"Of course." I smile back. "I feel like she won't have a problem with it."

"I hope so." She then gets up and leaves to get her luggage.

I lean into Jasper and close my eyes. I'm still a little tired. He wraps his arm around me and rubs my back. The next thing I know, my head starts to hurt. At first, it's an ache, but then it turns into the feeling of a throbbing in my head. I feel my eyes glaze over even though they are closed. I can hear Jasper calling out to me, but this vision is too overwhelming for me to be able to reply.

I'm lying in a hospital bed. I'm listening to the doctor.

I hear him say, "I'm very sorry, Janetta." Wait. What is he sorry for?!

I start to cry into Jasper, whose face is blank.

I'm pulled back into reality and have tears falling down my face.

"Janetta! Are you okay?" My vision refocuses, and the entire family is here. Jasper is holding me, worry radiating off of him.

"Y-Yeah."

"Did you... Did you have a vision?" Alice asks me. I nod.

"H-How did you know?" I ask.

"I had the same physical problems when I would get visions as a human."

"What was it, sweetheart?" Jasper asks.

"A-All I could see was me in a hospital bed crying."

"Could you tell if it was Forks Hospital?" Carlisle asks.

"I think so. I think I saw the name on the equipment."

"Okay. Well, we won't be back for almost two weeks. So, we can worry about it when we get back." Emmett says, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah. Let's not worry about it." I say, regaining the strength in my voice. The rest of them don't look convinced. "As Emmett said, we can worry about it when we get back." They decide not to push it further.

Luckily, it is time for us to head to the airport. We get into two cars and head off. With the speed they drive, we turned the three-hour car ride into an hour and a half car ride. We waited about half an hour at the gate.

"Flight 245 to Houston is now boarding." We walk to the gate and get on the plane. As the plane takes off, I watch the ground move further and further away from me.