Pre-Twilight: Chapter Fifteen

The past few weeks have been great. My grades are excellent. My relationship with Anna is back to where it was before. My relationship with Jasper has grown even greater. We have gone on a few more dates. I have been spending a lot more time with his family. They all seem to like me, even Rosalie. She seems to have come around, and she is now someone I can come to if I have a problem or need someone to talk to. The day Jasper met Dad and Anna was very awkward but great. Anna lowered the spell around the house so Jasper could now come in and out of the house whenever. It took Dad a little while, but he likes Jasper. Anna feels a lot more comfortable around him and with me around him.

This morning I woke up very early. Today, February 8th, is my seventeenth birthday. I have a really good feeling that today is going to be great.

I get up and hop in the shower. I take a good amount of time in there. I get out, brush my teeth, and grab the hair dryer and straightener. I return to my room, put on my fuzzy robe, sit in front of my mirror, and do my hair. When I'm done, I do my makeup. After I finish that, I go to my closet and grab my outfit for the day. I choose a flowy long-sleeved floral dress, a white cardigan, and thigh-high black boots.

There is still a good hour until I need to be at school. I go ahead and head downstairs. I turn into the kitchen, and Dad and Anna sit at the kitchen table waiting for me.

"Good morning, sweetie. Happy birthday!" Anna says, standing up and hugging me.

"Thank you," I reply. I turn and hug my dad.

"Happy birthday, honey." He says, kissing the top of my head.

"Thank you," I reply to him as well.

"Grab your school bag. We are taking you out to breakfast before school." Anna says, grabbing her purse and coat. I grab my bag, and we all head to the car. We head to my favorite breakfast place ever. Waffle House. I absolutely love this place—great choice on dad and Anna's part.

We go in and sit in a booth. I feel a tap on the back, and I turn around. I turn and see its Jasper.

"Happy birthday Janetta." He says, smiling. He hugs me. I turn and look at my dad and Anna. They are smiling at me.

"We thought you'd like it if Jasper joined us for breakfast," Anna says.

"Thank you," I say. He sits next to me in the booth.

He leans into my ear and whispers, "You look absolutely gorgeous." I look up and smile at him. He gives me a soft kiss and wraps his arm around me.

The waitress takes our drink orders and leaves to grab them. She brings them back and takes our breakfast orders. As we wait, we make small talk. Jasper moves his arm and takes hold of my hand under the table. He rubs circles on my hand with his thumb as we continue talking with dad and Anna.

The waitress brings us our food, and we start eating. I noticed that Jasper only got a coffee and a bowl of oatmeal.

"Is that all you're going to have?" I ask him.

"Yeah. I don't eat a lot for breakfast." He says.

"Oh, okay." I dig into my food, not noticing how hungry I am until I taste my food. We eat and continue our conversations.

"So, Jasper. What are your plans after high school?" My dad asks Jasper.

"I plan on attending the University of Washington and majoring in economics. I have a love for numbers." He says.

"So does Netta," Anna says, chiming in.

"So she has told me." He looks at me, smiling. I blush a little and go back to eating my food. We finish up soon after, and my dad pays the check. Jasper tried to pay for his, but my dad insisted. We get up and walk out of the building.

"Mr. and Mrs. Swan, would it be okay if I drove Janetta to school?" Jaspers asks.

"Of course," Anna says. They both hug me and get in their car. Jasper and I get in his car, and we head to school. We get there in a few minutes, and he parks the car. We still have twenty minutes until first period starts. We decide to stay in the warm car until we have to go to class.

He turns and smiles at me. I smile back and lean in to kiss him. He kisses back, and we get into a rhythm. We stay like that for a few minutes until we are interrupted by someone banging on the door.

"Jasper, don't monopolize the birthday girl!" A voice says. I recognize it as Rosalie's. We look at each other and get out of the car. Hugs from Rosalie and Alice instantly meet me. They both say happy birthday and pull away. Emmett and Edward both say happy birthday to me as well.

"Thank you," I say back to them.

"You are coming over to our place after school," Alice says to me.

"I am?" I say, confused.

"Yes, you are." She says. I can feel that I won't be getting out of it.

"Okay. Sounds good." The bell rings, and we head off to class.

The day flew by very fast. All day, people were saying happy birthday. I liked the attention, not going to lie. As I head towards the door to leave school, Angela calls out to me. She heads towards me and has a small, wrapped box in her hand.

"I wanted to give this to you before you leave." She says, handing the present to me.

"Aw, Ang, you didn't have to get me anything," I say.

"I know, but I wanted to." She smiles at me. I unwrap it and open the box. It is a charm bracelet with a stethoscope charm and a raindrop charm.

"Ang. This is amazing." I say, hugging her.

"I didn't want to go overboard with charms. I thought you'd want to add your own charms on it." She says.

"Thank you so much."

"You're welcome. I have to get home. Once again, happy birthday." She hugs me again and walks off. I smile and turn to head towards the door. I see Jasper standing there, waiting for me with a mischievous smile.

"Hey... What's up?" I ask cautiously.

"Nothing much. Just waiting for you." He holds my hand and kisses my forehead. We walk out the door, and I stop dead in my tracks. Dad and Anna are standing in the parking lot in front of a car with a big red bow on it. It's not just any car. It's my dream car—a navy Jeep Wrangler. I scream and run to them.

"You got me a fucking car?!" I ask.

"Happy birthday!" They say. I run to the car and observe it in all its beauty.

"This is my dream car!" I say.

"We know. We thought you deserved it." Dad says. I hug them both and thank them over and over. "Go ahead and take it for a spin. We will see you at the Cullens' tonight."

I look up at them. "What?" I ask. They don't answer but walk away, smirking. Jasper walks to me and helps me in the Jeep. I start it up, and we pull out of the parking lot, heading to the Cullens' house.