Pre-Twilight: Chapter Six

The final bell rings, and I go to my locker to drop off the things I don't need for tonight's study session. I head towards the door to the parking lot when I hear my name called.

"Netta" I turn and see that it's Lyvia. She walks up to me with a smile on her face. "Have fun on your little study date AT HIS HOUSE."

"Lyv, it is not a study date, AND Alice will be there as well, so it's not like we will be alone." She rolls her eyes at me.

"Whatever, but you should still try and make a move." I roll my eyes back at her.

"We shall see. But you won't know until tonight IF I decide to tell you what happened." I smile evilly.

"Oh, come on, that's not fair!" She starts begging me with her puppy eyes. "Can you do me a small favor?"

"What is it?"

"Could you try and put in a good word for me with Alice?" She blushes a little.

"Of course!" I smile at her. "Now I have to go. They are waiting for me." I hug her and walk toward the parking lot. I look around and see them, Alice smiling brightly.

"Hey," I say, slightly blushing. I know they definitely couldn't hear my conversation with Lyvia, but I still have a sense they know something.

"Hello. We should get going. Want to beat any traffic." I nod and start to get into the back of the car when Alice stops me.

"You can sit in the front. I'll sit in the back." She smiles at me. I swear I saw a smirk, but I wouldn't put a bet on it. As I get into the car, I text Anna and tell her I am going to a classmate's house to work on a project. I didn't mention it was the Cullen's because I did not want her to worry. They seem pretty normal, besides the fact that Alice can see the future.

The ride to their house was very awkward. Soft music played in the background to mask the complete silence in the car. The trip took about twenty-five minutes because they lived outside the city limits. We pull off the main road onto a narrower road. It consists of many twists and turns. As we go further down, I see a house through the trees.

We finally reach the house, and it is beautiful. It looks like it belongs on the cover of those house magazines that Anna has on our coffee table. I get out of the car and just stare at the house. I can't seem to take my eyes off of it. The wall-to-floor windows make it very unique. I can see everything in the house. My eye catches a giant grand piano, and they widen. I know for a fact a grand piano like that should cost at least $20,000, probably more.

"You like it?" He asks me, walking up behind me.

"I love it. It's beautiful. I have never seen anything like it before." I say back, smiling.

"Thank you. Esme will love to hear that you like the house." He says back.

"Esme?" I ask.

"Our adoptive mother," Alice says, standing beside me. "She has a knack for interior design and decorating."

"Oh, okay. Well, you tell her I said I absolutely love the house."

"Or you can tell her yourself," Jasper says, smirking. As if on cue, a beautiful woman opens the door and steps onto the porch. Her heart-shaped face goes perfectly well with her amazing brown eyes. She looks like she also belongs on a magazine cover. Hell, this whole family looks like they belong on a magazine cover.

Jasper motions for me to walk with them towards the house.

"Hello there," Esme says to me. "I'm Esme, Jasper and Alice's mother." She holds out her hand for me to shake. Crap. What do I do? What do I say? I can't risk passing out at their house.

"Hi. I'm Janetta, but you can call me Netta if you'd like." I stare at her hand for a quick second. "I would shake your hand, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I'm sorry." The emotion on her face seems to change for a split second but instantly changes to a smile.

"No problem at all, dear. Please come in." She moves away from the door, allowing me to walk in. The inside of their house is just as beautiful as the outside. "Are you hungry? I could whip you up a snack if you'd like." She is delightful.

"Thank you, but I'm not hungry. A glass of water would be good, though." She nods and walks towards what I assume is the kitchen.

"The inside of your house is just as beautiful as the outside," I say, turning around to meet the faces of Jasper and Alice.

"Thank you," Jasper says, stiffening a little. "We have a small library upstairs we can work in if that's where you want to study."

"That sounds good. Lead the way." They turn towards the staircase and start to go up. As I reach the first step, Esme comes around the corner and hands me a glass of water, making sure not to touch me. I take it and thank her, and I follow them up the stairs to their library. Geez, they have their own library? Talk about RICH.

Once we reach the top of the steps, Jasper opens a door for me, and I walk in, Alice trailing behind me. When I step inside, all I can see are books. Many books. On wall-to-wall bookcases.

"Wow," I say, my mouth slightly open in amazement.

"We all enjoy reading. We collect many books, and they end up on these shelves." Alice says.

"I may have to borrow a book or two sometime," I say, joking only slightly.

"Any time, Netta." She says back. I sit down at the table in the middle of the room. I grab my materials from my bag and look up at them.

"Okay, let's get to work," I say with a slight smirk. They are going to love me being their project partner.