Chapter 73: (Preparations for Ozma's Party)

(Preparations for Ozma's Party) 

*June 20th, 1906*

*Emerald Gardens*

It was a beautiful sunny day; a few days had passed since Dorothy and her friends arrived at Emerald City, and it was one day before Ozma's birthday party as Dorothy and Shaggy Man were setting up the party outside of the garden.

"I'm sure Ozma will love what we planned for her. I just know it. " Dorothy spoke to Shaggy Man while setting up the birthday banner on the palace walls while her friend nodded in agreement.

"I'm sure of it! Ozma will be most surprised when she finds out, but speaking of her. Where is she?" Shaggy Man responded while helping Dorothy hang up the banner as he waited for a response from his friend.

"Ozma is out on her usual duties, so we won't have to worry about her finding out about the surprise party or anything." Dorothy responded with a smile as she and Shaggy Man finished hanging up the banner, causing them to move on to the next task, which was setting up the presents.

"I see; even with her birthday on the horizon, she still has to attend to duties. I wonder if they're important, but I guess that it is rather important," Shaggy Man spoke to Dorothy once more as he began to pick up the wrapped presents that were sitting by the palace walls and walked over to the tree, placing them on the ground while Dorothy followed suit.

"It's most likely important. Ozma's royal duties usually consist of overseeing potential wars, threats, coups, and other things that might threaten Oz itself." Dorothy responded while placing the presents on the ground before seeing Shaggy Man nodding understandingly before speaking.

"I see. That sounds like quite the job, and my respect for Ozma has grown after hearing that. I hope the people of Oz can continue to experience peace without the fears of war, unlike the people from our world.." Shaggy Man spoke to Dorothy with a hint of seriousness while feeling the cold breeze run through him, which he found refreshing.

"I hope for the same as well, but there are also people within Oz who oppose the idea of people living in peace and harmony, regardless of who they are, and such people are the Wicked Witches of the West and East, Mombi, Princess Aurora, Nome King, and other such terrible people; however, as you said, as long as there are people in Oz who are in the right mind and will stand against injustice than peace will forever reign in Oz" Dorothy responded before smiling which was followed by Shaggy Man smiling back.

"That is true. I just hope this moment of peace can last.." Shaggy Man spoke to Dorothy once more as this tender moment between them was quickly interrupted by a familiar voice calling upon them, and it was Scarecrow himself, which surprised Dorothy.

"Dorothy! It's wonderful to see you again. I've heard you've decided to pay us another visit! How have things been for you?" Scarecrow greeted his longtime friend with joy as he and Dorothy ran over to hug each other.

"Scarecrow!! It's wonderful to see you once more, and you look stunning! Did you get a new makeover? I'm curious to know" Dorothy greeted her friend back before releasing herself from the hug as she observed Scarecrow's new look.

Scarecrow's new look was a blue attire filled with straw; he wore a blue hat that matched his stunning outfit.

"Yes, I did. My straw and body are stuffed with Oz's strongest and loveliest oat straw, and I had my face touched up by the Munchkin Farmer who created me" Scarecrow responded with a confident voice and smile while showcasing his updated body, which made Dorothy smile.

"I'm glad to hear that. I also have a good friend you should meet: Shaggy Man. I met him back in Kansas, and he's been nice to me ever since," Dorothy responded joyfully while introducing Scarecrow to her friend as she motioned her hands to allow him to see Shaggy Man.