Chapter 55: (Onward to Pyramid Mountian)

(Onward to Pyramid Mountain)

*January 15th, 1906*

*Valley of Voe*

Dorothy and the gang were preparing to leave the house so they could head to Pyramid Mountain, hoping to find a way to get to the surface.

"So, we gotta head over to Pyramid Mountain, right? I hope it's an easy journey, unlike our encounter with the Mangaboos, 'cause I don't know if I could handle more of this awful place." Zeb had spoken out to the others while pacing back and forth as. Zeb saw Oscar nodding in agreement as he began to speak.

"Correct; however, even if we should come to places that might deter our journey, We must move on so we can get back home as quickly as possible," Oscar responded to Zeb while Dorothy and Betsy nodded in agreement.

"He's right, and we just gotta push through whatever comes our way, and if we end up trapped, then we must wait until Ozma looks at her magic mirror," Dorothy responded as the motherly voice began to speak.

"Just be careful of the gargoyles that roam the mountain's surface. I heard they're pretty troublesome and hate noise as well," The motherly voice had spoken out, making Betsy curious as she began to speak out.

"Gargoyles?! Like the statues, right? How strong are they?' Betsy had asked the motherly voice in a curious tone as the motherly voice began to speak.

"I didn't know your people had statues of gargoyles, they must be good beings, but to answer your question, they're not vital but can be very troublesome with their speed. Our greatest champion, Overman-Anu, once climbed the spiral stairway and fought with them for nine days before escaping; however, once he came back, he could not describe his encounter, and afterward, he was eaten by a bear.." The motherly voice explained to Betsy as this shocked her and the others.

"H-How terrible?! I'm sorry for the loss, and I bet he was a great man as well," Betsy spoke back in a shocked tone as Dorothy nodded in agreement.

"I agree, it shows how terrible those bears are, and by that, we must avoid them at all costs," Dorothy had spoken out in agreement as she got up from her seat along with Zeb and Betsy so they could head out.

"Indeed, but we'll send you off now, and we wish you the best travels in the journey and farewell," The motherly voice had spoken out in a gentle tone that made Dorothy and the others smile.

"Thank you, and we will! You can count on us to make it back in one piece," Dorothy said as she waved goodbye to the invisible mother and child as she and the others approached the door.

"Bye, everyone! I hope we can see you guys again!" The daughter's voice had spoken out in joy as Dorothy and the others had left the house as their journey resumed.

Our heroes managed to get back to Jim as the horse started to walk towards the mountain, and after a while, Jim stopped so he could rest for a bit.

"Those people were quite nice, and I wish them nothing but peace from those terrible bears," Dorothy had spoken out while washing her hair by the river while Oscar nodded in agreement.

"Indeed, perhaps someday that will happen, but as of now, they must be invisible to avoid the bears at all costs," Oscar had spoken back while he pulled out a flask from his pocket and began to drink it while looking over to see Zeb and Betsy chatting with each other.

"So, Dorothy. Since we have time to rest, I was thinking about how you said I was just as bad as the Wicked Witch of the West, and I was thinking about how right you were.." Oscar had spoken to Dorothy in a somber tone as he sat right next to her and looked over to see the young girl staring back at him.