Chapter 57: (Land of Gargoyles)

(Land of Gargoyles)

*January 15th, 1906*

*Land of Gargoyles*

Dorothy and her friends were confused at what they had just heard from Jim as the horse looked confused, which didn't help the situation.

"What do you mean? Is the place abandoned or something? We can't turn back and don't intend to waste our time, so we must keep moving." Dorothy advised Jim while Oscar nodded in agreement as he began to speak.

"She is right, Dorothy has been to many strange countries throughout Oz and she has always escaped safely, so let's head forth and make the best of it," Oscar advised Jim while Betsy and Zeb nodded in agreement while Jim sighed in annoyance.

"All right, but don't blame me if we run into trouble, " Jim spoke back to Oscar as the horse officially continued the journey toward whatever was above once the gang made it to the top, they found themselves in the Land of Gargoyles.

"This must be the country of Gargoyles, right? I heard they don't like sound so we must navigate this place as quickly but quietly as possible" Betsy whispered to her friends in a cautious voice as she saw the wooden gargoyles flying towards them; however, they only watched them while Dorothy and the others nodded in agreement.

"I have a bad feeling about this but I hope you're right.." Zeb uttered nervously while seeing the gargoyles getting closer to them indicating that the creatures aren't what they seemed as one began to quickly charge at Dorothy; however, Oscar quickly pulled out two revolvers from his pocket.

"It seems they're not as peaceful as one might imagine but with my two revolvers, I can at least fire a warning shot that will scare them away!" Oscar spoke out as he began to fire many shots from his weapons which scared off the creatures as some flew away in fear.

"T-Thanks! The Good Witch of the North's spell would have protected me anyways but I do need the extra help.." Dorothy spoke out to Oscar in gratitude while the humbug nodded in agreement.

"Of course but that's not the last time we're gonna see them so be prepared" Oscar warned Dorothy while pointing at the flock of gargoyles coming their way.

"There's more?! What do they want from us?! It's not like we're making too much noise!" Zeb cried out in annoyance while covering himself in hopes of protecting his body from the attack while Betsy was shoving them out of the way.

"It seems this might be problematic, Someone is trying to deter our journey.." Jim spoke out while using his hooves to kick one of the gargoyles that was approaching him; however, this did no damage which was picked up by Oscar.

"Those wooden creatures are impossible to harm, it seems. All Jim could do is cause a few splinters but they keep getting back up.." Oscar spoke out while continuing to fire shots from his revolver as this surprised Dorothy and the others.

"R-Really?! Then we must make a run for it since we're wasting time and we can't afford to have anyone injured or worse" Dorothy advised Oscar and the others as she quickly motioned her hand towards Jim since he was carrying the carriage while Zeb nodded in agreement.

"She's right and I would rather fight the invisible bears right now! Suppose we can find another set of stairs and be on our way?" Zeb spoke out as well while Oscar shook his head in denial much to the surprise of the two children.

"Remember what the invisible woman said? These creatures are fast! They'll quickly catch up to us and harm Jim so we must fight them off and force them to give up!" Oscar spoke back in defense this made Dorothy and Zeb think for a moment before realizing that he was correct.