Book 6 | Ch. 16 - Dead End [𝐈]

The grass was cold, crimson was clear all around.

The greenery was dark and menacing.

Intimidation and death was in the air.

The waving trees only made our escape harder, the roots stuck to the ground made our rush harsher.

I could hear the screams..

So vivid.. as if I were personally watching.

I ran and ran.. my body was being crushed by some force.

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

Things were supposed to be turning up for me.

I was supposed to grow and live up to Hunter's name!

But.. reality is often cruel to those with expectations.

No one is safe once the darkness latches onto you, there are no exceptions, no talking out of it, no begging.

Once you're sucked into the pit of everlasting darkness.

You're dead.

A few hours prior

On the shallower side of the western continent, west of the town of merchants, north from Dragon's peak, Rogue's group ventured closer to the mission location. A dense forest supposedly harboring a beast that caused havoc in the rural areas.

Maaaan~!

This fucking sucks.

Walking for days on end in the heat is not my cup of tea.

Actually I straight up hate tea.

Besides that..

Rogue's been surprisingly aware of my health always ensuring I'm feeling ready.

By "ready" he likely means suitable to fight.

He actively has been checking over the groups overall health, if one of us can't continue we'd cancel the mission since it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Gris popped in to see me, he kept his feet in sync with mine and slowed his pace to reach me.

"I never did ask because I thought it wasn't a great time.. but what's up with your axe?" He tilted his head pointing his ring finger instead of his pointer at my weapon.

I peered back at my axe strapped to my back, it was certainly heavy but not enough to make a huge difference in how I do things.

I questioned him instead, "What of it?"

He put his hand to his chin asking how I was able to wield something so massive.

"It's not difficult, just training and repeatedly lifting enough weights should suffice."

Now that he mentions it..

Why is it that I'm the only one who can touch it?

The last time I remember someone attempting to get a firm grasp at it was severely burned, what caused that?

I can call it at will, I really just accepted that one day without thought.

W-what.. is this weapon?

Cherry Blossom, what are you?

"Hey don't go spacing out on me." Gris waved his hand in my face.

"Woah, my bad."

He was a good sport about it, not really minding my tendencies to doze off.