Book 5 | Ch. 11 - The Upper Echelon Of The Fortress

After waiting for just a few minutes, we caught sight of Veronica hurrying down the upstairs hall and bounding down the steps, beads of sweat adorning her forehead. Her face was a mix of curiosity and bewilderment as she informed us that the guild master had summoned us to his office.

"Come with me quickly, and whatever you do, show him respect. Don't disrespect him, belittle him, argue with him, and especially don't even think about trying to bribe or manipulate him. Everyone in this fort treats him as their own and considers him a war hero," Veronica cautioned us.

"Messing with... *cough* ...-our guild master is the same as turning everyone in the fort against you. Keep that in mind," she added, her tone filled with seriousness.

I nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation and mentally prepared myself for what awaited me. Cloudy tensed up, sensing a presence lurking just beyond the wall on the other side. We exchanged glances, silently acknowledging the heavy atmosphere that lay ahead, and followed Veronica, determined to navigate the upcoming encounter with caution and respect.

With a silent gesture, Veronica opened the door, indicating for us to enter without uttering a word. As we stepped inside, we immediately felt the weight of the atmosphere, lacking the usual air of dominance but instead emanating a sense of nostalgia, even though we had never set foot in this room before. The ambiance quickly shifted, becoming uncomfortable with a subtle undercurrent of control.

The room carried the scent of old books and papers, adorned with shelves displaying trinkets of unknown significance. A single chandelier illuminated the space, casting a soft glow from above. The man behind the desk stared at us, his expression remaining stoic until he realized that we were merely teenagers. It seemed that he had not been informed of our age.

"Welcome... Please come in, and disregard anything my dear assistant might have told you," he spoke with a soft, weathered voice, conveying wisdom and experience.

"W-wait! You can't just say that! They might be-" Veronica's objection was swiftly interrupted.

"My dear Veronica, could you please excuse yourself from the room? This matter requires my personal attention."

"O-of course," she reluctantly replied, bowing and exiting the room, closing the door behind her.

The man's tone and his grey hair indicated that he was likely in his seventies. He sat cross-legged in his leather chair, exuding a sense of leadership. This was not a casual encounter, and Cloudy and I both understood the significance of the situation. The guild leader must've noticed by now that we're Hunter's disciples and family members. What would he say? How would he react? I had to be prepared for any scenario and counter whatever he threw at me.

"Come, little ones. Take a seat across from me and let us discuss how comfortable these chairs truly are," he invited, with a gentle smile. "There's no need to worry. I'm simply welcoming my guests."

It's a façade. He's more astute than he lets on. This is not an invitation; it's an order from the guild leader himself. How do I know? Because of what I shared with Veronica, which likely prompted him to be on edge after receiving such momentous information that could reshape the world.

We sat down, pointing out the softness of the fabric, mirroring the gentleness of his voice. He expressed gratitude, casting an unsettling glance in my direction. He knows something is amiss. Is he not going to speak up?

I intentionally excluded Cloudy from the conversation because I knew that any inconsistencies in our stories would be noticed by this astute man, potentially leading to do away with us.

"Aren't you going to speak up, boys? Why the somber expressions? Has the cat got your tongue out of nervousness? Or perhaps you're attempting to decipher the course of our forthcoming conversation?" His mild expression began to shift, revealing deeper emotions, indicating that something significant was about to unfold.