Book 5 | Ch. 18 - Fledgling vs Hunter

I could hear the jolly and wild screams of the citizens in waiting, their excitement was ready to burst outside the arena. My ears began to ring from the constant noise, it was far too loud for my ears drums to take.

Ellen quickly took notice of my distress and placed her hands over my temples as they emanated a faint purple light. I slowed pulled my palms away from my ears finding the noise considerably lowered.

"What did you do this time?" I asked finding her abilities to be very useful.

"I spread my energy into your brain and muffled the nerves that go to your hearing. I knew your hearing was above average but to think it's this high. You should be able to hear slightly above average now compared to before."

"Thanks Ellen." I smiled at her making her blush.

"It's no problem my little lord! Anytime, please do tell me if you're distressed I'll gladly come to your aid!"

"Oi, I'm here too ya know." Bay pointed out walking on all fours beside me.

He sounds like Nick when he's pouting it's quite comical honestly.

After some walking down the long corridor I faced the large gate that revealed a portion of the arena I would be fighting in. The nerves began to settle in as my body would shake enough for Ellen to gain notice yet again.

"Are you afraid?" Ellen questioned sitting on my shoulder, for once she didn't manipulate my body.

"Simply nervous is all." I replied back truthfully.

"Just understand that I can revert you back to a blank state but in doing so you'll also be stunned with your brain trying to catch back up to speed." 

"My abilities can support your mental state but nothing more as of now. Bay is the one who can increase your potential."

"She's correct young lord. When the time comes I'll be your strength, no need to worry of my actions."

I glanced down seeing the armor I was given reminding me of Gatekeeper. 

Although I am thankful for the armor and teachings he gave me, the last few moments I saw him were certainly not favorable, especially when he attempted to kill Hunter at one point for no reason.

I removed the invisibility effect on the armor and watched as the gate floated up allowing the light to seep in and flood my iris.

I covered my eyes finding the bright light too strong to my liking as the audience cheered spotting my feet from the gate.

"*Breathes in*.. *Breathes out*."

"Hunter.. give me strength that allows me to defeat this worthy adversary."

From afar I could spot Eric staring right at me despite being unable to see me in the dark. He called out for me announcing to everyone that I was indeed present.

"Challenger, no need for the shivers, we'll welcome you to the arena with grace. Everyone please lighten our competitors spirits."

I could hear them wishing for my safety with a few shouting for my victory, it was surreal. My eyes glistened, I for once.. didn't feel tired as I always had. What was this feeling again..? It's different from the sensation I felt looking at that girl, Caroline. 

I hadn't a single clue what this mysterious feeling could be. Happiness, excitement? My breathing was rapid, my heart was pumping as if I had fought for hours, a surge of adrenaline perhaps is what I'm feeling?

Enough of my hesitation. I must solidify myself and grit my teeth!

I walked outside into the arena as Eric opened his mouth with a smile having pearly white teeth.