Book 6 | Ch. 12 - A Crumbling Power

The crowd of innocent bystanders in the busy streets of the fortress stood aside, their chatters turned into words of praise and respect.

I strolled down the walkway proud and tall, guild members and citizens alike watched in awe as I made my way to my next destination.

I've worked so hard to bring this moment to life, I'm living my dream of creating a peaceful zone.

Children flourish without care and worries of threats.

The elderly bowing their heads in consideration.

The newly aged students and adults look up to me and the others who've reached the highest point they could achieve.

I can hear their voices, they're filled to the brim with joy, respect, dedication, honor.

How I wish it could stay like that..

Truly I do.

Alas this world..

𝓲𝓼 𝓽𝓻𝓾𝓵𝔂 𝓾𝓷𝓯𝓪𝓲𝓻.

In the blink of the eye, a simple hum from your mouth, a tingle from the hairs on your body..

All of it will vanish to be replaced with something worse than most would imagine.

I protect the people from this realization but..

A utopia isn't what the people need. That only creates dystopian ideals.

The looks on their faces..

Before my old eyes realized it, I was directly facing the guild hall doors.

"Welcome Guild Master Eric!" A guard announced with a strict tone.

"At ease.." I replied softly, my lips staring at the asphalt.

I have many things to do..

Many many documents and orders to write down.

The people who surround me, those who continuously praise me..

I can hardly hear their words..

For I'm drowning in documents and contracts..

I must put up a façade..

For I'm their world.

I'm merely human yet..

They see me as a great existence, not to be trifled with..

Yet I'm simply an old goose that refuses to stop fighting for humanity.

"Guild Master Eric~." A woman's voice pierced into Eric's hearing through the many.

"Jessica?" My tired eyes hinted so much.

"Are you doing well Sir Eric? You've been taking breaks have you?" Her expression was concerned for me yet.. I can't let her expectations fall.

I smiled.

"Nothing is of concern dear Jessica. Now- tell me what it is you wish to ask of me."

"It's an important matter that needs to be spoken in private."

I only realized now her body was frantic, her expression still showing compassion yet.. something was different.

"Very well. Let us head to my quarters." My legs took a long stride down the path toward the staircase up to my office.

"Now Ms. Jessica, please do explain." I sat onto my seat, my aching back finally getting some form of rest.

I have so many things to do..