Book 5 | Ch. 22 - Crushed By Reality

The guild master was eerily quite, his expression shifted ever so slightly that I almost missed the hint he unconsciously gave.

"I'm correct then. What makes me believe it even more now is the fact you haven't harmed us yet."

"I simply wish to not harm you children." Eric leaned his head up keeping it clear that he was not completely bounded by whatever contract he was in.

"Bullcrap, while your words may be true to your personality, that isn't what is being displayed as of now. You could've certainly disarmed us or even restrained us right now alas you haven't."

He's keen on the situation. This predicament isn't worth my life, Hunter. I'll be breaking the contract as of now. I have a daughter I must see alongside my grandchildren one day.

"...I forfeit." He sighed putting his hands up in defeat.

"What's that supposed to mean? Are you gonna finally talk now asshole?" Nick shouted slurs from afar keeping his guard up until everything was clear.

"The boy is correct. I'm under a contract with Hunter and I was tasked to test the three of you." He listed carefully prompting Ace to jump in.

"Sir Eric, what are you saying? You make it seem like Hunter is a prestigious individual." Ace explained only knowing that Hunter was a drunkard who was just exceptionally strong.

"Ace, by the guild master's orders I will use my authority to have you leave the premises. The information I will be revealing is level-9, classified material."

"B-but~.. A-alright." Ace gave in exiting the area immediately to find a way to spend his time alone.

Eric faced away from the two boys alone, their stares made him uncomfortable. His shivering hands were not of nervousness but something deeper far beyond our understanding. It was daunting, his demeanor took a huge leap, those eyes once sly now profound.

"What's your relationship with him?" Nick blabbered away getting to the point.

"My relationship..? Haaa~... I'm getting too old for these types of interrogation."

"I was his dear friend, a partner by his side that fought against the gods and dragons of this world two decades back. You must've found out by now from either my daughter or Ace that I'm one of the six heroes."

"The Conquistador's were meant to be the next generation of heroes that would stand up against the gods tyranny, the dragon's will. Though things are not going as planned."

"You're going off topic, reroute it." Cloudy jumped into the conversation taking control.

"... Mmm~.. Out of nowhere one day, a year back he finally visited me after a long fifteen year gap. He begged for a favor of me, I obliged being his good friend. It was to test and have you learn here in this place."

That's essentially what Hunter had told us he would do. Something isn't adding up.

"Keep going." Nick shouted also figuring out there was more.

"You both really take after him~. That stubbornness is what really aggravates me the most." Eric pondered expressing his distaste before returning back to the conversation.

"You may not believe me.. is this truly what you wish to hear?" He gave us a warning despite us being on the advantage.

We both glanced at one another, I was hesitant finding Eric's words to be honest, Nick on the other hand didn't so much as bat an eye and nodded his head ready to hear it all.

"Very well.." He lifted his hand placing a grey barrier around the waiting room.

"He explained to me with great detail he didn't want to see you three. He went as far as to claim that he was ashamed, though I wasn't sure what he meant exactly. His expressions were strong and vivid, full of anger and at the same time sadness."