Book 5 | Ch. 2 - An Emotion Going Rogue

I stayed close to the left side, away from the sunlight, seeking shade under the stalls and building walls. It was important to keep a low profile, especially after parting with most of my gold. I knew that if I let my guard down, the merchants would swarm me like bloodsucking leeches, draining me of every last coin. I moved cautiously through the bustling crowd, ignoring the calls and stares that my uniquely colored hair attracted.

"I should have brought a helmet or a hood," I scolded myself for not being more cautious.

Navigating through the town, I made my way to the back where the bar and inn were located. I clutched my weapon tightly, ensuring that no nimble-fingered thief could snatch it away. Normally, I avoided this area, haunted by memories from my childhood. It was only when I found shelter in the orphanage and had Hunter by my side that I could momentarily forget the trauma associated with this place. Now, I was willingly diving back into it, all in search of the man who had helped me.

Next to the bar, I spotted a man sitting quietly on the side of the alley, as if waiting for something or someone. My suspicion grew as I approached him.

"Hey," I called out.

He remained silent and motionless, but I refused to be deterred.

"How much?" I asked, mustering confidence.

That caught his attention immediately. He concealed his face with a black hood, despite the heat, indicating that he had a reason to hide.

"Depends on the information," he responded, his voice rough and deep, almost parched.

The hood and rings he wore gave away his true nature. Those rings, if sold, could fetch a few gold coins each. With that kind of wealth, he could have his own land. The fact that he didn't meant he must be an information broker, involved in shady dealings.

"I'm in search of someone," I stated.

"As are most people who come to me," he replied, sounding condescending.

I described the person I was looking for: blue hair, tall, around six foot five, with red eyes and a massive blade on his back. He would be hard to miss.

To ensure privacy, I moved deeper into the alley and sat down beside the man, away from prying eyes and the bustling merchants.

"First, target's name. What is it?" He inquired.

"Hunter." I answered.

"Last name?"

"ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕟𝕖."

"And what is my contractor's name?"

"Royal."

"Background?"

"Unknown."

"Unknown?" He repeated with skepticism.

"Yes. He's very elusive when it comes to his past," I explained.

"In that case, the price will go up dramatically," He warned.

"That's fine," I replied, unfazed.

"One gold coin, fifty silver, and eighty copper," He demanded already placing his palms into a bowl for me to hand over the money.

"Take it," I said, tossing a bag filled with the requested amount between his legs avoiding going near his hands.

He opened the bag carefully, as if suspicious of any tampering. I couldn't blame him, considering the nature of his work.

"No blood contract?" he asked, expecting further layers of security.