Book 6 | Ch. 11- Scrolling On

"What? Say that again?" Nick questioned in disbelief. His lips moved to the side practically almost touching his earlobe.

"When we get to the mission destination I'll be taking out a scroll that can detect threat levels." Khorc explained nicely.

"How the hell does that even work?" Nick tilted his head not believing a word he uttered.

Gris came in from the side wrapping his arm around his friends shoulder and took over for him.

"Gahh~.. It's quite hot out."

"Well never mind that. It's the same with healing scrolls, someone implants their powers into it and-- voilà~!"

Well.. I guess that counts.

"The threat levels are mostly universal for monsters at least."

"They range from crescent soldier difficulty to Conquistador level of danger. It will notify everyone that the user is allied with what the danger is. Effectively by levels 1-9." Gris pointed out also mentioning a unique effect that comes with the scroll.

That's pretty useful, damn. So it's a radar that can scale threats up too fifty meters, the only downside is the money that's needed, a whopping gold coin.

Now that I think about it, which I'm not because I'm shit at math... How are they affording these?

This mission is three gold and some change in there I think? 

Where's the profit??

Aren't they losing more from this than gaining?

Well.. I'll worry about that crap I guess when the time comes. 

That belongs to my future self's problem.

...

...

...

Night arrives

The night sky drowned out any figure that strayed from the light, our campfire stuck close to us keeping us warm from the harsh weather.

I kept my hand up, my energy fueling the flames of the campfire, sparks flew upward letting my mind drift for a while.

Rogue and Khorc were chatting nearby playing with a set of cards in each of their hands. 

It was clear Rogue was struggling to get find an opening in Khorc's stoic expressions. 

Gris was polishing his blades and checking on all the equipment they had, these guys really knew what they're doing.

Blake was farthest from us all, he was the scout ensuring we got sleep through the night. 

He positioned himself on a large branch just out of reach. But something felt off watching him from afar..

"Is he-... sleeping?"

It seriously looks like he's asleep right now.

"What's up? Got your brain in a knot kid?" I heard Gris call from a short way away.

Should I ask away?

I don't want to look like an idiot if I ask and he says to not pry.

Grrr~.. *Sigh*

"What's up with Blake? How long you've known that guy?"

Gris peered over Blake's way before facing me again, his eyes conveyed a lot more than I was bargaining for.