Book 6 | Ch. 10 - Love Is Like Rose Thorns

An hour prior...

"Where am I~?" Caroline sat up from one of the beds, the sheets were rough compared to her own.

"Oh your awake? I'll explain everything." Cloudy turned around leaving his bag on the ground to assist her up if needed.

After a bit of communication and details she was left behind on, she understood most of what happened afterward.

"... I see."

"Then.. do you know as to why that guy dislikes Royal that much? It doesn't make sense to harbor so much hatred for no reason."

Cloudy couldn't help but tense up, his shoulders raised slightly in response.

"It's.. a rather uncomfortable subject for him, I wouldn't want to speak of it without Royal being here."

"I think I have the right to know given how I was attacked." Her brows lowered as she pushed for an answer.

"Look.. I get it that your upset, scared even but it's a personal matter between family and Gatlin." 

"If you're really going to search for answers than it's not from me." Cloudy stood firm, his stare kept sharp making his intentions clear.

Caroline shot up facing the doorway and walked out of the dorm room.

"...Perhaps that was too harsh." Cloudy muttered before returning to his activities.

Rushing down and outside the dorm Caroline looked to her right spotting Veronica calling for her.

... They're together again. Like peas in a pod that has no room for more.

They really fit one another, truly they do.

I hate this..

"Caroline? Why are you coming from the boys side?" Veronica approached.

"H-huh? Ace? Veronica? What are you guys doing?" I sidetracked the conversation unable to tell them the truth.

"I haven't seen Ace in a long while so I wanted to chat with him."

"Oh~! I know! Would you like to come with us and catch up with Ace?" Veronica smiled gently, her tone confirmed they all knew each other for longer than most would expect.

Caroline couldn't face them properly, her eyes kept to their feet.

I know I should give up, my one-sided crush won't last and can't be eternal. Yet..

Love is also cruel in that regard..

Even when my chest is being flattened by my emotions.. my love is still holding together by some miracle.

Almost.. like a curse.

"Some other time.. I-I need to go~." She rushed away her face hidden thanks to her hair.

I try and run from my problems yet they come right back around..

I know Veronica is in love with Ace since I was the one who introduced her to him all those years back. He shows obvious signs as well.

I can't even be upset, Veronica is precious to me just as much as Ace is. She's making progress while I can't even muster the courage to so much as ask him on a date.

It should be clear to me who will be together with him.

But it hurts.. it hurts so so~.. much.

She slumped down onto the ground, a wall behind supported her, a shadow kept her cool away from the morning sun.