Book 5 | Ch. 4 - Face To Face Against Monstrosity

My initial expressions were tightly controlled, but the sight of Gatlin's face after so many years sent violent shivers down my legs. Apologies turned to silence, and then horror took over as I struggled to process the rush of memories. I was still haunted by what had happened back then. Who wouldn't be, after hearing my story? I could barely contain myself, feeling anger surge through my veins. But there was something diluting that powerful emotion—a mixture of submission, fear, and anxiety. Those three emotions chained me to the concrete floor, preventing me from fighting back. I knew I had the power to resist, but I simply couldn't. The trauma had been etched into me, repeatedly and brutally, until my body instinctively obeyed, leaving me terrified and alone once again.

"Who are you?" Gatlin asked aggressively, showing no willingness to help me up.

My eyes widened as a mix of relief and outrage washed over me. He had forgotten and left behind his past, but that wouldn't last for long.

"Hey Gatlin, what's going on? Why'd you stop?" Another one of his friends called out from behind.

I trembled, instinctively curling up as if to shield myself, but then I stopped. The thought of playing dead, a defense mechanism I had used in the past to ward off their attacks, crossed my mind. But this time, it wouldn't work. They were coming—the entire group was approaching, ready to inflict agony and bring back painful memories. Despite only being on the ground for a few seconds, my legs felt numb, as if drained of all strength.

"I'm not going to ask again, who the fuck are you to run into me like that!?" Gatlin exclaimed, only making me tense up and roll my shoulders up.

Three of his friends finally reached and leaned over spotting me with one pointing out the obvious.

"Woah this guys got a blade man."

"Hey he looks familiar don't you think?" One of the other friends comments.

"That purple hair isn't something you see every fucking day! Hey-hey... What's your name?" The last of the friends questioned me, making my head spin.

I remained speechless, unable to flee from the haunting memories of what they had done to me.

Gatlin pushed his friends aside and knelt before me, examining me closely. I could feel his gaze stripping me bare, invading my innermost being. Those dreadful brown eyes, that dirty blonde hair, and his intimidating demeanor that always kept me on edge. By some miracle, I managed to force words out, attempting to fabricate a false identity.

"I-I-It's... R-ro-.. Royal," I stammered, too frightened to even lie convincingly.

I had intended to deceive them, but the fear of the consequences if they discovered the truth overwhelmed me. Deep in my gut, I could sense the rising urge to vomit, and it became increasingly difficult to suppress it.

"Wait. Does he mean that Royal? Our little lost lamb?"

"Shut your trap Marlo!"

Gatlin shouted at the top of his lungs, scaring him silent.

Marlo, the second-in-command of their little group, always groveled and ingratiated himself with Gatlin in every possible way. After all, Gatlin was a noble, not a high-ranking one, but the son of a baron nonetheless. That's why most people turned a blind eye and kept silent about what they witnessed. But to be honest, Marlo had caused me more harm overall than Gatlin. However, that still didn't excuse any of their actions.

"Hey, what should we do with him?"

The other friend replied for Marlo.

"Not sure, why don't we take him down the alleyway just over there and see how he's been."