Chapter 38. Hello?

The moon showed through the clear sky, the wind barely blew but enough where Mikeys bandana tails blew gently along with the breeze. Mikey looked down at the his hand, he rubbed his thumb against his husband's wedding ring. He met Swifts eyes and smiled, Swift grinned back. They walked along the dirt path, avoiding the large and sharp rocks that they came across. The environment was peaceful only being met with the music from grasshoppers and the swaying of the tree leaves above them. They couldn't ask for a better night, they continued to walk along the path until they heard something crack in the woods to the right of them.

  Mikey stopped and quickly turned his head to look at where the nosie came from.

"What do you think that was?" Mikey said in a low whispered to Swift.

Swift narrowed his eyes and leaned down towards Mikey, still keeping eye contact with the woods.

"Sounded like a branch snapping" He also said in low whispered.

Mikey responded, "Show we check it out-"

A loud scream erupted from the woods, piercing the guys sensitive hearing. They quickly covered their ears, once the scream stopped they moved towards the sound in a rush.

They hopped over tree trunks and ducked over low hanging branches. They could hear the loud wails of a child being heard in the distance. Mikey realized this and picked up his pace. Swift caught up to Mikey, being careful to not trip over anything.

The screams and cries where getting closer until they passed tree trunks splattered in deep red blood. Mikey and Swift covered their noses and tried to avoid the trees. They focused back on the target and saw two figures moving around in the clearing. A tall figure stood over a seemingly lifeless woman.

Mikey gestured to Swift to get the man while he gets the woman.

Swift nodded and tackled the man quickly.

"HEY!" The guy yelled and they started to swing their fist at each other. The man failing on protecting himself.

Mikey ran towards the woman and dropped to his knees.

"Miss! What happened?" Mikey asked quickly.

"Vampire...attack....the bushes....my baby please take him-...." The woman started gasping for breath and clawing at her throat for air.

Mikey froze but nodded sadly, he got up and listened for the baby.

He heard the soft hums of a baby about to cry to the right of him, he quickly ran to the bush and moved the branches aside to see a swaddle baby in a purple blanket. He picked the baby up and checked for any wounds. Once the baby has been cleared of any viable injuries Mikey search for Swift with his eyes, he saw Swift already putting the unconscious vampire in a tree. He wiped his hands on his jeans and move on to the women.

He checked her pulse but didn't feel any, he frowned and looked up at Mikey.

"Let's take her home and bury her there" Mikey said, not taking his eyes off the sad woman's face.

Swift nodded and picked her up, the couple carried the people in their arms as they venture back to their home.

They passes by trees and the wind has come to a hault, they didn't say a word to each other. Mikey kept checking on the baby, it's big green eyes stared at him with wonder and sadness. Mikey looked in the baby's eyes and watch him glance towards his dead mother.

Mikey moved his hands to rub the baby's cheek with a sad smile. The baby smiled then yawn, his eyes drifting to a closed.

Swift looked at the woman's face, he didn't feel sadness for the woman but pity. He looked towards Mikey and smiled him as he watched him play with the baby.

His should be stopped heart beated hard and he could feel his face flush. Mikey looked up at Swift to meet his eyes and smiled.

"What's going on Swift?" Mikey asked, glancing towards the woman then back to his eyes.

"I only feel pity for her really" Swift responded.

"What should we do about the baby?" Mikey asked Swift.

Swift thought about it for a moment, and then let out a tiny smile.

"We could keep him as our own" Swift said.

Their house was in view and they walked slightly quicker.

"Are we really able to take care of a baby?" Mikey asked, thinking of everything that could wrong.

"Yeah, the house would make a room for the baby by tomorrow and we're married so the baby can be a great addition" Swift told Mikey while smiling at the baby.

"And the mom will be buried next to the house so the baby will be able to talk to his mom" Swift continued.

Mikey thought about it for a moment and then nodded.

"Yeah, I think we should keep him" Mikey said.

They walked along the grass to the door, Mikey opened the door and they both entered. Mikey walked over to the couch and sat down, rocking the baby gently.

Swift went to grab a shovel from the kitchen closet and walked outside to dig a hole for the dead woman.

"What are we going to feed this thing?" Mikey said aloud while looking at the baby.

He waited on the couch trying to think of who would have any kind of food to feed the baby and remember that the hospital should have some formula or milk for the baby to drink.

"Well I need to go there to have the baby get looked over by a professional anyways." Mikey said to himself.

He got up off the couch and made his way to his room to grab a new blanket for the baby. He opened the door and grabbed the closet one he could find, he gently wrapped the baby in the new blanket, and carried the old one with him. He went outside to find Swift to let him know where he is heading. Then he took off in a hurry.