27

The next morning, Kageyama awoke to someone knocking on his door. He rolled out of bed and rubbed his eyes as he walked to the door. When the door opened, he was greeted by his older sister standing there, smiling like a cheshire cat.

"What do you want?" Kageyama mumbled, still half asleep.

"I heard you talking last night," she said.

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Yes, you do; I heard you talking to your girlfriend," she grinned.

Kageyama rolled his eyes. "I don't have a girlfriend."

"Or maybe it is," Miwa began, but she was cut off by Kageyama.

"Fine, I'll tell you."

"Haha, you admit it," Miwa replied triumphantly.

"I have a boyfriend, okay? He is coming to visit the day after Christmas, but you are not to say anything at all to mom or dad," Kageyama whispered.

"Oh my god, are you gay?" Miwa was surprised.

"Shhh, keep your voice down; yes, I am. If you out me to mom and dad, I will never forgive you."

"I won't; I just can't believe you didn't tell me."

"We all have our secrets; now leave me alone," Kageyama said, slamming the door in her face and turning back to his bed.

~

Later that afternoon, Kageyama showered and got ready for his family to come over for Christmas Eve dinner. They always spent Christmas Eve at their own house and Christmas Day at their aunts and uncles places.

Kageyama was dressed neatly in slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie. He heard his mother calling for him to come downstairs, and he left his room and made his way to greet his family.

Miwa was already downstairs, wearing a navy-striped romper. His mother was answering the front door, and his father was setting the table in the dining room. In entered his mother's younger sister, his aunt, and her husband, along with their two kids. One of them came barefoot to Kageyama.

Ren was only 5 years old, and his older brother, Kenji, was 7.

"Tobio!" Ren said, running and hugging Kageyama's legs tightly.

"Hey, bud," Kageyama replied, ruffling Ren's hair before picking him up.

"Tobio, put my son down and come give me a hug," his aunt demanded.

He placed Ren back down on the ground and hugged his aunt. Kageyama walked over to his uncle, whom he shook hands with before turning back to sit on the couch. Once everyone was here, his mother ushered everyone into the dining room for dinner.

The table was set for dinner, and the table had been extended to fit the large number of people. Kageyama took a seat next to his sister, who was sitting next to their father, who sat at the head of the table. His mother sat between his father and his aunt.

Food filled the table: an array of cooked vegetables, a large bowl of stuffing, and mashed potatoes, among other things. Kageyama's mother left the table to go retrieve the large turkey from the kitchen oven.

She placed the turkey towards her end of the table because her husband was going to be the one to cut it. Everyone knew it was time to say grace. The family held each other's hands as Kageyama's father recited some scripture. They weren't religious people, but it seemed to be the humanly decent thing to do.

"Amen," everyone said together at the end of the prayer.

"Time to eat!" Kageyama's mother said it excitedly.

His father began cutting the turkey and dishing it out to everyone, while others grabbed side dishes from the table, transferring spoonfuls to their plates. Everyone was eating and talking. The room was filled with the noise of silverware on plates and chatter. Kageyama only wished that he could spend this time with Hinata.

~

a/n: just saying that I made up the cousins, aunt, and uncle.