Jehan - Is It Yours?

Mme Blanc sat at the desk drumming her fingers on it as Jehan skipped up to the door with his clothes in disarray.

“Good morning!” he chirped at her as he opened the door.

“Bonjour.”

“How is life today madame?” he asked as he hung his coat up and automatically set to work on lifting the duster and running around frantically dusting shelves with it.

“Fine. You might be interested in this, Jehan,” she said looking up.

“Mhm?” he replied from behind the shelf he was currently working on.

“We have a new librarian with us at the moment,” she said, staring at the boy as he peeped out from the side of the book shelf.

“What?” Jehan stammered. “Did you replace me?”

“No!” she laughed at his worried face. “I just thought we could do with some extra help!”

“When does he start?” Jehan asked, curious.

“She starts today. She’s currently in the backroom dusting in there,” Mme Blanc tilted her head towards the room and then went back to drumming her fingers.

“Should I go see her?” he debated to the woman.

“Go talk to her, she’s quite a thing,” Mme Blanc advised him.

And Jehan slowly walked to the room where he observed something quite curious.

There stood a girl with h/c hair that was twisted into two plaits down the back of her f/c dress with little flowers printed all over it, her eyes sparkled like diamonds, her arms swaddled a child that was giggling and smiling.

“Hello,” she said rather awkwardly.

“Hi,” he responded with eyes wide. “Is the baby yours?”

“No, it was in this basket in the corner,” she said pointing to the basket and then the corner. “Is she yours?”

“No,” Jehan replied, walking over to the child then smiling at how it raised its skinny fists up at him and then spread its fingers out like a starfish.

“Do you think it is madame’s?” she asked as she placed her hand in the baby’s.

“Definitely not.”

“Who else’s could it be?” she quizzed him with her e/c eyes smiling.

“I’m not sure. There’s no one else that stays here. Oh lord!” Jehan palmed his face against his hand.

“Whatever is the matter M. Prouvaire?” She asked.

“Jehan. Not M. Prouvaire. I don’t even know your name!” he cursed how he was meeting a cute girl that was talking to him and not looking at him like a freak and he hadn’t even started the conversation decently!

“I’m Y/n. Y/n y/l/n,” she smiled as she pulled the baby up to her hip and giggled as it let out a little yawn.

“Nice to meet you mademoiselle,” he said smiling at her.

“What was your revelation Jehan?” she asked him as the baby began to let out a little cry.

“I left the window open last night!” he cried in harmony with the baby’s whines.

“How does that explain the baby?” she asked him as she held the baby up to her face.

“People are forever getting confused about the orphanage and here!” Jehan looked at the child’s red and puffy face with warm and tepid tears tearing down its flushed cheeks. “What do you think is wrong with it?”