8

Thinking I was going to share Ancient Runes with the other Gryffindor fifth years, I was disappointed to see there were only four Ravenclaws and three Slytherin boys. The Ravenclaws all looked wary at me as they paired up. I was about to take an empty seat in front of the class when one of the Slytherin boys who sat alone beckoned me over. I saw the other Slytherin boys look at their friend with raised eyebrows and even the Ravenclaws looked shocked.

"You can sit here." He said, putting his bag on the floor.

"Thanks." I glanced at him as I put my bag next to my chair.

"Babbling was going to put us together anyway. She'll be happy to have an even number." He shrugged, his face emotionless.

"I figured." I said in the same tone and blank expression, worthy of a Slytherin. The boy looked at me with raised eyebrows for a hot second before he looked to the front of the class, his mask back in place. I crossed my legs on my chair, making myself comfortable as I took my book out. We worked next to each other in complete silence for almost half an hour, before I heard the two other Slytherin's whisper next to the boy.

"Do you think Black is close family of hers?"

"I heard it's her father."

"Think she has his traits?"

"What? As if she's a mass murderer? I could see it."

I wrote down the wrong answer on my paper because of what they said. But I just pursed my lips and changed it, trying to ignore the boys.

"Hot for a mass murderer's daughter though." The one with dark thick wild eyebrows snickered.

"I would tap that, even if she's a –" The boy didn't get to finish his sentence as I scoffed. The still-unnamed boy next to me looked at me with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"Even if you two were the last people in the world, I wouldn't touch you with a ten-meter pole," I said not, bothered to look up. The boys wanted to retort but Professor Babbling asked for a volunteer just then. "I can do it, professor."

"Excellent, excellent." The professor smiled broadly and gestured with her hand to come to the board. I dropped my legs to the ground and pushed myself up. "I was wondering what you got in store for me, miss Lupin-Black." The professor said as she leaned against her desk, watching me work the assignment.

"We were wondering what's in store for us under that skirt." One of the boys whispered, but it wasn't quiet enough and the professor's head snapped to him.

"Ten points from Slytherin and detention, mister Gore."

I smiled as I finished writing on the board and looked at the professor. "So, think I did okay?" I asked as I stepped away from the blackboard, to look at what I did.

"I should say more than okay. You even added things you will only learn in two years." She exclaimed excitedly and clapped her hands. "Ten points for Gryffindor." She announced to the class as she turned. "I should look at Beauxbatons curriculum." She murmured.

"I could get it for you if you want." I offered.

"Really?" She asked surprised, her eyes wide and I nodded with a smile. "If it's not too much trouble."

"It isn't." She smiled. "I'll get it to you as soon as possible."

"Oh, take your time, dear." She smiled and ushered in a quick apology. "Oh, sorry, miss Lupin-Black."

"It's okay." I chuckled before heading back to my seat. I crossed my legs again on my seat and saw the boy look at me, the corners of his mouth twitched. "Something funny?" I asked, scribbling in my notebook.