44

It pained me to leave Harry at the Dursleys, but that's where we were going to now. Remus held out his arms and we looped ours through. Narcissa and Draco were unusually quiet as they stood side by side. Since Harry wasn't used to sleeping in, he slept until 10.30. I had breakfast with the Malfoys and Remus. I might've let it slip how he was treated at the Dursleys when they asked why I looked so gloomy. I didn't want to drop him off even if it was for only two weeks. Remus and Narcissa were shocked, Draco didn't say anything, he was quiet for the rest of breakfast.

With a slight pop, we appeared around the corner of the house. I grabbed Harry's hand as we walked towards the house.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too." Harry smiled sadly. "But in less than two weeks I'm at the new house and we can meet up all the time."

"I don't want to leave you there for a minute, let alone two weeks." I glanced at Remus, who was walking to my left. His eyes were fixed on the house we were walking to, and I knew he was having a hard time with it too.

Remus knocked on the door when we arrived at the house. A few seconds later, Vernon Dursley opened the door, his eyes narrowed at Harry.

"Good evening, Mr Dursley." Remus forced a smile. He held out his hand. "I'm Remus Lupin."

"Hmph." He grunted not taking his hand. He glanced back to Harry in disgust. "We've been waiting thirty minutes for you to start dinner." He grunted. "Then you'll need to clean the bathroom and kitchen. After that straight to your room and keep your ruddy owl shut."

Remus stiffened next to me. I tilted my head to look at him. To my surprise his gaze wasn't unkind, it seemed like he adopted Narcissa's blank expression. Vernon pushed Harry harshly inside. He cleared his throat until the fat man looked at him, Harry stood behind him, glancing at his shoes.

"Are the adoption papers in order?"

"The godfather, Sirius Black?" He grunted. "Yes. He'll be picking him up on the fifteenth, not fast enough if you ask me." He grumbled the last part.

"Right." Remus frowned before he looked from me to Harry. "Harry, go pack your things.... Everything." Harry's eyes widened just like mine, he glanced from Remus to me uncertain. I shot him a smile and a tiny nod, and the boy darted upstairs. "Harry's coming with us. He'll stay with us until he can move in with his godfather."

"If you take him now, he is not coming back in."

"Believe me, he is not coming back." I snarled. The pig-headed man looked at me, his eyes blazing.

"You're one of them, aren't you?" He barked.

"I am." I challenged as I took a step forward. I smirked as Vernon stumbled back. "What is it to you?"

"Alec." Remus said calmly but with a slight warning in his voice. "Why don't you go see if Harry's nearly packed."

"I'm done." Harry's voice came from the stairs. I looked away from Vernon to see Harry looking at us with a bemused expression. "I don't have a lot of things."

I smiled honestly as I helped Harry with his bag. "We'll change that."

Without looking back, I tugged Harry out of the house. I heard Remus talk to Vernon for another minute before I heard the door close. Remus clapped in his hand excitedly as he stepped between us. "Ready to go?"

"Am I really not going back there?" Harry asked apprehensively.

"No." He shook his head determinedly. "You'll stay with us." Then he looked insecure to Harry. "Do you mind staying at the manor? I know you and Draco..."