Prologue

"Tobio, you got mail," his mother yelled.

Kageyama closed his book and stood at his desk. He made his way downstairs and took the letter from his mother, who was in the middle of cooking dinner.

"It's from the university," Kageyama said, reading the front of the envelope.

"Did you get in?" his mother asked.

Kageyama opened the letter and scanned it quickly.

"I got in, I got in," Kageyama said breathlessly.

"Oh, that's great," his mother rejoiced.

She gave him a hug and kissed him on the cheek. Kageyama was relieved. He is finally starting his life as an adult, away from his family.

Later that evening, at dinner, he announced to his family that he had gotten into Anglewood University, which was a top college. His family was overjoyed.

"Great job, Tobio!" his father said, putting an arm around his shoulder.

"You're growing up so fast," his grandpa said. "I remember when you were just a kid, and we watched volleyball tapes together."

Kageyama replied with a small smile as he was praised by his family. He was ready to face his new adult life head-on.

~

"Shoyo! Shoyo!" Nastu cheered, running towards the table where Hinata sat.

His mother placed dinner on the table, and Nastu sat quietly in her seat before thrusting an envelope into his hands.

"You got the mail," she said, smiling.

"Thanks," Hinata replied, ruffling her hair.

"Eat your dinner, then you can open it," their mother said.

They ate dinner and listened to Natsu talk about the summer camp she had been going to that week and all the new friends she was making. Hinata's attention wasn't on his little sister; it was on the letter. He had been staring at it as he ate his dinner. It was from his top-choice university; he had to know if he got in.

Hinata finished his dinner quickly and put his dishes in the sink before running back to the table to open the letter.

"Who is it from?" his mother asked.

"My first choice is university," Hinata said quietly.

He tore open the envelope and rapidly unfolded the letter, his eyes jumping everywhere over and over again, from the top to the bottom of the page.

"Calm down, Shoyo; you're going to rip it," his mother said soothingly.

Hinata took a deep breath and looked over the letter. His breath hitched in his throat.

"What?" Natsu asked eagrly.

"I got in!" he yelled.

"That's wonderful!" his mother said.

She enveloped him in a tight hug and kissed him on the cheek, telling him how proud she was of him. Hinata was ready to begin a new chapter of his life.