EWB 21

Hailey

Words could not explain how I feel right now.

I stood frozen on my spot, unsure of what to feel, or what I was supposed to say.

I mean, I tried opening my mouth to say something, but nothing dared come out because right now, it felt like if I did, my heart breaking would just echo.

And probably the most unbearable thing about all of this was how Caleb just... stood there, waiting for me to say something.

And by the time I noticed that, whatever sadness I was feeling earlier was now replaced with anger.

We definitely were better off just hating each other, and now, he just gave me the perfect reason to stay that way.

So I laughed.

Out loud. Instantly making Caleb look more worried. He probably thought I was going crazy because he just straight up took back every fucking thing he told me last night, but no.

And I was probably equally stupid as he was right now, but for some reason, I wished that whatever was gonna come out of my mouth next was going to be convincing as fuck.

"Uh... I mean... you did say you like me... I didn't really think anything more to it?" I told him like it was awkward for me that he thought I spent the entire night thinking about what happens after he just told me he liked me back. Which I did, but there was no fucking way that I was gonna make him think that he just straight up rejected me.

No. Fucking. Way. In Hell.

I must have been convincing as fuck too, because after analyzing my entire body, the worried look on his face faded and Caleb sighed in relief. He bought it. He fucking bought it.

"Okay. Good" he said through gritted teeth as he forced a smile on his face "But..."

Caleb then quickly grabbed my hand like last night before I left their house, instantly shocking my entire system as my chest pounded like my body finally processed the fact that Caleb just rejected me.

"I meant what I said last night, for real. I... lo..I like you" Caleb said, and I gulped, unsure as to what I was supposed to feel right now. Dude is just straight up messing with my mind right now, but I'm not gonna let him win.

I didn't spend the past years being in an annoying bubble of being "enemies" with Caleb for me to let him see that he was getting on my damn nerves.

"I think we've moved past the frienemies thing now, don't you?" I asked him as I slowly pulled my hand from his hold, because god forbid, if he holds it one more second, I will cry.

"Yeah..." he said

"Yep. We've progressed to being friends now.." I say as I flash him a slightly forced smile "..apparently" I mumble under my breath, hoping he didn't hear it. "Anyway, is that the only thing you wanted to talk about?"

Caleb blinked, like he was trying to think about what I just said.

"Uh.. no. Yeah. That's it" he said

"Alright" I answer as I flash him the biggest smile I could "You could let yourself out the same way you got in" I added as I dramatically pointed the window to him with my palms. This, however, made him glare at me.

"Could you just let me use the door? I'm tired of climbing" he asked, making me arch my eyebrow at him as I start pushing him towards the window

"You literally just said that doors are a waste of time, now get out of here. I wanna go to sleep" I told him as he hopped out of the window, flashed me 'deuces' like he always did before when we were friends, and climbed down my window.