EWB 18

Caleb

"I am SO glad that midterms is finally over!" Nicolas says as we all get out of our classroom after handing our exams over to our proctor. For a minor subject, it was surprisingly hard as fuck I felt my back starting to hurt so I stretched as I made my way out.

But, at least it was finally over.

A couple more months, and the semester's finally done.

"You know what we should do, though right?" Matthew asks us as he gives each one of us a devious smirk

"We should hit that bar that just opened!" Christine says as she snaps her fingers

"Perfect!" Matthew says "What better way to celebrate?"

I look up at them through my eyelashes.

Clearly, they were gonna hate me for the next words I was about to say.

"Sorry, guys. I can't" I tell my friends, instantly making their face fall

"What? Why not?!" Matthew asks

"I've got a prior commitment I have to get to" I told them.

After my exams yesterday, I bumped into Dean who weirdly enough, decided to invite me to his party tonight.

We weren't even that close to begin with, but I was a little keen on going.

Annoyingly enough, the night after I got knocked out by Kierra's ex, I didn't know if it was the pain reliever I had taken before bed, but for some idiotic reason, I have told Hailey that night that I wished she would've liked me before.

And I don't even know if she heard it or not, but I'm pretty sure she did because aside from the insanely thin walls that separated our rooms, Hailey has been expertly avoiding me ever since.

It was as if in a snap, she magically had a different schedule from mine and we never ended up riding the elevator at the same time ever again.

I mean, I also thought about coming to her room through the balcony every damn night, but I didn't wanna be weird and just pop in there while she's avoiding me.

Well that, and the fact that I feel like if I did end up coming to her room, I would just freeze and not know what I would say.

And given that she and Dean has a "history", I blindly said yes.

Maybe I'd be able to see her at Dean's party then.

"You suck, Caleb. You know that?" Nicolas said as he rolled his eyes at me

"Well, whatever it is, when you're done, we'll be at that new bar" Matthew said as he flashed me a small, all-knowing smile.

I don't usually tell my friends about what's going on with me, but I ended up telling Matthew all about Hailey and how confused I currently was.

"Thanks" I told Matthew.

We soon headed straight home afterwards, and I started to get ready.

I was getting anxious by the moment, especially when the thought of me seeing Hailey even before I left the building entered my mind. My hand was getting shaky that buttoning my shirt up was suddenly such a chore.

"Fuck!" I muttered in frustration

"The hell is wrong with you?" Casey asks as she peeps into my room. I pass her a glance and see that she was already in her house clothes, which was weird because normally, she would be out partying and celebrating like everyone else.

"You're not going out?" I asked her

"Nah, River and I are just gonna watch a movie and cuddle on the couch" Casey says in a giddy voice as she walks over to me. Great, my sister is now domesticated. "Anyway, what's up with you?"