EWB 42

Caleb

Miserable.

Just plain fucking miserable.

That's the best way to describe my life anyway.

I guess you could say this was plain karmic retribution for whatever I did to Hailey, so I wasn't tripping about it that much.

Still, I can't say it didn't hurt.

Because it did.

And by god, I missed walking around our block at night at this time of the year.

Usually I'd be smoking weed behind some tree and chill while the cold, winter breeze hits my whole body, but I didn't have any with me.

And honestly, I could use one right now.

After god knows how long, I finally walked back to my house and as soon as I walked in, I was kinda surprised to see Casey sitting on the first step of the stairs.

"You didn't have to wait up for me, you know?" I said as I walked closer to her, making her quickly look up at me with bloodshot eyes.

"I wasn't" Casey said as she sniffed and wiped her eyes, instantly making the overprotective brother in me come out.

"You okay?" I asked her as I slowly sat down beside her, in case she didn't want me to go anywhere near her.

"No!" Casey quickly answered as she looked at me "I'm sorry about what I said earlier, I didn't mean it"

"It's fine. I know you didn't" I quickly tell her as I rub her back to calm her down "That's it? That's why you're crying?" I asked, making her look up at me with an annoyed look on her face

"God, what is wrong with you?!" she asked as she shook her shoulders so I'd take my hand off her while I blinked.

"Are we still talking about..." I began

"Yes, you dumb idiot!" Casey said "You're gonna tell me exactly what happened that night. After I specifically told you to not do anything"

I took a deep breath and prepared myself to tell Casey what went down that night.

How I still went to Hailey's apartment, and what happened after... you know what. Making sure to spare the gory details of how we slept together of course.

After telling Casey, who made sure to let me know that she was rolling her eyes at my pathetic excuse while she listened intently to every detail, she just stared at me in disappointment and pity, which honestly was annoying as hell.

"So yeah, that's what your stupid dumbass of a twin brother did" I said as I let out a sad laugh while she continued to glare at me for a couple more seconds before she took a deep breath.

"You know I love you, right?" she asked, making me scoff

"Like you have a choice?" I sarcastically asked, making her glare at me even more

"Anyways!" Casey interjected "I'm not taking sides here because you are both idiots and assholes, honestly"

"Yeah. I know that, Casey thanks for the obvious" I sarcastically said

"Jesus Christ, would you let me finish!" Casey said in a loud tone before looking upstairs to make sure her loud mouth didn't wake our parents up as she took a deep breath to calm herself down "Like I was saying, while you two are assholes and idiots, I can see that you both just don't really wanna hurt each other anymore that you actually do"

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. I mean I get what she's saying, but at the same time I don't.

"Huh?" I asked