EWB 43.5

This is it! The last chapter of this book. We made it, and I think I'm gonna cry. For real for real, it's been a long year but we're here! And I really really really hope I see you guys on the next book! I LOVE YOU ALL I SWEAR!!!

Caleb

If my chest felt heavy an hour or so ago, it sure as hell didn't feel any lighter now.

I thought Hailey coming here meant she was gonna tell me that she ended things with Dean because she chose me. That it was now time for us to be together.

Instead, she realized that while ending things with Dean was the right thing to do, it still didn't mean that we were gonna be together.

Don't get me wrong, I might have sounded like I didn't want her anymore, but fuck! All she had to do was keep talking because the moment I opened the door, I was already set on taking her back. 

And as much as I never wanted to let her go, I knew I had to.

One year later...

Nothing smelt of nostalgia more than that fresh scent of New York air. 

As soon as I spotted my uber ride, I flagged it down and got in before he drove off, with me looking out the window, waiting to see if anything has changed since I left a year ago.

After my internship with the Donovan firm, while I loved working there and wanted to be there permanently, I decided to leave and move to another city for the last six months of my internship before I take the ARE. 

I thought it was best at that time to not be at the same place with Hailey. It was better that way. Not just for me, but for the both of us.

And yet, here I was. Back in New York, now as Architect Caleb Kirk. 

While I looked for job openings at firms across the country, I decided to dabble on freelancing. Nothing big, just for house plans with my parents' friends and the like. It wasn't exactly what I was planning to do for the rest of my life, but it was a good start. 

Right now though, I'm about to go on my second screening with one firm in Dallas, and I needed a recommendation letter. 

And who better to give me that than my former boss, the best architect I know, Architect Donovan.

It still looked like the place it used to be a year ago, nothing new. Just new faces, which I'm assuming are new interns and new employees. It was still the same firm I thought I was gonna end up working for, which made me feel a bit sad but also happy that I at least got to experience working here.

As I walked in, some of the people I used to work with and some of the people I interned with greeted me as soon as they saw me. It even surprised Cynthia a bit when she saw me before I reminded her that I was coming there. Once that thought clicked, she led me straight to Mr. Donovan's office, who was on his phone while he signaled me to take a seat at the chair in front of his desk.

"I'm sorry about that" Mr. Donovan said as he placed his phone down before leaning forward with his arm extended to me "Caleb Kirk, you are an architect now" 

"Yes sir!" I excitedly tell him 

"How does it feel? Being a new architect in a big city?" Mr. Donovan asked

"Very good, sir. I actually cannot wait to use everything you've taught me here, sir" I answered, making Mr. Donovan let out a laugh as he waves his hand at me. Bro probably thinks I'm cappin' and just flattering him, what the fuck.