EWB 20

Caleb

Inhale. Exhale.

Flowers, check.

Hair, check.

Courage to ask the girl I've been in love with forever to the homecoming dance and possibly ask her to be my girlfriend when we get there? Fuck. Where is it?!

I took a deep breath as I gripped on my locker door as my anxiety kicked in. This was possibly the most grueling moment of my life, and the waiting time wasn't helping.

I kept on glancing the hallway as I waited for her to come around. There was only fifteen minutes left before the first bell rang, and knowing that she was almost always late made me more worried.

Or maybe this is a good thing.

If I don't ask her now, maybe I can do it after school.

On the other hand, it was gonna be torture if I didn't ask her now.

After looking at my watch for the nth time, I looked across the hallway, and there she was.

Looking fucking beautiful as ever as she walked across the hallway, grinning. And like every single time I saw her, everything always moved like slow motion... until she literally snaps me back to reality.

"Good morning Caleb" Hailey said excitedly, so I huffed and slightly closed my locker to try and play it cool.

"You're awfully early and very chippy this time of day" I told her. Unlike the usual days, however, instead of rolling her eyes at me, she just grinned even more.

"I need to tell you something—"

"You'll never believe what just happened—"

We both said in unison.

"Okay, go ahead" I told her. Hailey's grin grew even wider, if that was even possible, before she squealed and grabbed my arm as she jumped up and down.

"Dennis Hart just asked me to homecoming!!!" She said. And as that thought slowly processed into my mind, the smile on my face started to fade and my heart started to shatter into a million pieces.

"D-dennis Hart? The sophomore?" I clarified, just to be sure.

"Yes! Oh my god! I can't believe a sophomore just asked me to the dance! I'm so excited!!" Hailey said before she finally calmed down "Anyway, what did you wanna tell me?"

As I saw the single rose in my locker, I took a deep breath, closed my locker, and slightly pulled my arm off her grip, which instantly confused her.

"I uh..." I began, unsure as to how I was gonna tell her "I don't wanna be friends with you anymore, Hailey"

"Wh... what?" Hailey asked, completely confused "Why? What are you talking about?"

I took a deep breath and looked up to try and stop my eyes from watering before I looked her dead in the eye like I just successfully stopped feeling altogether.

"Because when I woke up today, I just realized how much of a bitch you are, to be honest" I told her, completely emotionless.

She, however, looked completely shocked and hurt.

And I didn't want to hurt her like this... but I also don't think I could stay friends with her after this.

"Just stay away from me from now on" I told her before turning my heel so I could walk away from her.