EWB 15

I know this is short, but I needed a filler lmfao. Something to make up for that two-week stump!

Hailey

"Why'd you stop being friends with me when we started high school?"

I honestly didn't know what reaction I wanted from Caleb when I asked him that, but it was definitely not a deer caught in the headlights look plastered all over his face before he brushed it off and looked at me like it was a weird question.

But to be honest, asking that out loud shocked me as well.

I was a non-confrontational person and I wanted to keep things with Caleb like how it was and just go with the flow, you know?

But unfortunately, a lot of things has happened today, and we both surprisingly could not keep our mouths filtered today.

"We just.. grew apart I guess" Caleb answered as he shrugged. Bullshit.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Yeah right" I told him "If that was the case, we'd be at least civil considering I'm still best friends with your sister. But no. What, you just woke up one day and decided you hated me?" Welp. The non-confrontational me officially left the building, I guess.

Caleb just looked at me with a look that I couldn't quite describe. It was a mixture of shocked and... guilt?

And like I said, I was a non-confrontational person, but since I already daringly brought it up, I might as well keep going.

And I'm pretty sure that this conversation is gonna make or break whatever this thing I have going on with Caleb.

Caleb briefly looked away for a second, probably thinking as to how he was gonna answer me.

And while here I was expecting him to just get up from my bed, put his clothes back on and run off without answering my questions, he looked back at me after a while and stared straight into my eyes.

And for some reason, the wait for him to say something was making my chest pound.

"It's... complicated" Caleb said "Besides, we're good now, I guess? That should already be water under the bridge, right?" He added as he flashed me one of the fakes smiles he could do before it quickly faded away.

So I took a deep breath and moved closer to him.

I grabbed his wrist—which shook him, by the way, and made him stare at it before looking back at me.

"Look, whatever it was, I'm not gonna be mad, alright?" I assured him before I took another deep breath "But you're right. It's water under the bridge, and I get you're not ready to tell me yet but can you at least tell me something?"

Caleb nodded so I continued talking.

"Can you at least tell me if I did something wrong back then?" I asked.

Caleb blinked a couple of times as he stared at me before he took a deep breath, placed his hand on top of mine.

"No. You didn't" Caleb said as he flashed me a reassuring smile

"Sure?" I asked, and he simply nodded, finally making me sigh in relief because I swear to god, my conscience will kill me if I find out that I did something for Caleb to hate me all this time.

And that was all the answers I needed for now, and I couldn't help the smile that formed on my lips as we stared at each other for god knows how long.

"I gotta get back" Caleb said, making the smile fade off my face.