EWB 10

Caleb

Is that... Hailey? On a date??

I slowed my walking pace as I squinted my eyes to get a better look. And sure enough, it really was Hailey.

She was wearing the exact same thing from earlier.

As whoever this dude was leaned in in an attempt to kiss Hailey, she quickly moves her face and kisses him on the cheek instead before sprinting up the main entrance of the apartment, evidently disappointing pretty boy.

I silently laugh to myself as I shake my head.

Clearly, one of us was disappointed for not getting something from Hailey today... and it wasn't me.

As soon as Hailey was out of sight, I continue walking until I was about to walk past the dude Hailey was with, and only then did I realize who it was. Dean Hudson. The guy who hosted that party the night when I was about to beat Casey's boyfriend's ass. It was also the night when Hailey and I... came to an agreement.

I cleared my throat and kept walking casually, until Dean looked up. And as soon as we made eye contact, he stopped walking and scrunched his eyebrows before pointing at me.

"Hey. You're Caleb... Kirk, right?" Dean asked, which surprised me to know that he knew my name.

"Yeah" I said as I copied his demeanor and pointed at him and we basically looked like that spiderman meme"Dean?"

"That's me" Dean answers, making me internally roll my eyes "What's up man? How are things going with you and my cousin?"

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. Cousin? Who?

"Who?" I ask

"Maggie" Dean answers, making me form an 'O' with my mouth.

To recap, Maggie or Margaret as I've known her, was the sorority blonde girl in my class who I briefly dated before I started sleeping with Hailey. Dean's party was the last date I went to with Margaret and as far as I knew, all she told me was that she was going to bring me to a party.

She never did mention that it was her cousin's party.

Damn, what kind of a small world am I living in?

"We didn't work out" I told Dean as I shrugged, quickly fading the smile off his face and was quickly replaced with a smug look as he crossed his arms.

"Let me guess" Dean began "She met someone else, didn't she?"

I opened my mouth and closed it again, unsure as to how I was gonna answer him. From the looks of it, Margaret had done that multiple times already for Dean to be stating it like it was a matter of fact.

But despite it being true or not, I started to worry about how I was gonna tell him that I was the one who went ghost.

So I flashed him a sheepish smile and shrugged. Dean let out a laugh as he shook his head and placed his palm on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, the campus is filled with other women" Dean said before taking his hand off me then gave me an assuring nod then walked away.

"Okay..." I mumbled to myself as I watched him walk away. Fucking weirdo.

What surprised me for the night, however, was the fact that when I got home, Casey was already there.

Which was completely unusual if you consider the fact that she was dating River again, and if you recall, Casey was barely here when she first started seeing him.