Chapter 32

"At this hour?" I heard about Tara... "

"Yeah, well I'll keep it short, I don't know about what happened at the poker game and Piers. I just want Scarlet's name clear and away from that case."

"Absolutely, how can I help?"

"I don't want any of your mates to mention about the wine spill incident at the party."

"Don't worry about it, consider it handled. But..."

"But?"

"You speak to Dev."

"Why bro? He is a good man and listens to you."

"I don't wanna talk about it, but for now things are formal between us."

"Does Scarlet know about it?"

I could literally hear him scoff, "Yeah... I am sure she does, she usually does with many others."

I could sense the sarcasm in his tone.

"Alright. I'll have a word with him."

"He's on a trip to Sweden till the fortnight."

"Duly noted, good night and thank you"

"Na... It's nothing, goodnight and take care. I'll call Scarlet to check on her."

"I'll take care of her."

"Yeah, of course."

Scarlet was asleep but I couldn't, I went straight to my study. I sat down at my mohogany table beside the bay window, viewing the street. The moonlight hits my consciousness.

I felt like my situations had cornered me. Scarlet is the love of my life my present. I can't let my past affect our relationship with her. I can't let my ex-wife, her lover and Leo come back to ruin my life.

With my ex-wife it was just infatuation, she was the mistake of my life. We were young and and wanted to be together, it was our mutual decision but she fell out of love too soon.

She did not give me a chance to let her go. She lied and cheated and then lied and cheated again. She blamed me for the distance in our relationship, called me crazy and toxic while finding excuses to be with someone else.

I would have let her go if she didn't cheat and lied to me. I rubbed my temple missing the good time that I had with the woman who made me believe I loved her. Only to shatter my heart into a zillion shrapnels, that would be wounding her for her entire life along with her lover.