Chapter 29

Soon there was a commotion at the entrance of the CLUB 72, there were ambulance police cars and media. The club security did not seem to be enough. This scene gave me a de ja vu from New York, where Gilbert died of atropine overdose.

Scarlet called me, "baby I was just talking to Tara and then something happened to her.... She started choking, come soon" she had never sounded so scared. I had to go in to console her.

As I walked past the crazy crowd, I knew the worse part is yet to come, the question and answer round with the oversmart cops. This is the part that I dread the most, but look the calmest on the face.

Within a swift moment I was in the club and I paced to the poker table where everyone had gathered, Scarlet was a standing there too. I jogged to hold her and within a minute she turned her head and broke down in my chest.

Before I could calm her down or even look away at Tara's body one of the investigator came up to us. She glared at Scarlet in a very intimidating way so I stepped closer.

He asked her "So Madam, how close were you with Tara Piers?"

"We were just poker-mates." Scarlet replied with a quivering tone.

"Rest of your poker-mates here stated that you were the last person who spoke to Tara before she choked, is that right?"

I squeezed Scarlet's hand to sign her to leave the details of her conversation with Tara. We exchanged a quick glance that ensured me that she understood what I meant and wouldn't mention anything about the wine spill incident at the party.

"Yea I was just talking to Tara about how well she is playing and winning, then the bar tender who is also her good friend gave her the drink"

"Then what happened?"

"It was so weird that whilst I complimented Tara about her game she smiled at the bar tender and took a big sip from her Death in the Afternoon drink. As soon as she had that she started choking and was pointing at the bar tender." Scarlet explained in disbelieve of her own words describing the whole dreadful scenario.

"Yes I saw Tara pointing at the tall, skinny bar tender before she choked to death." another one of Scarlet's poker-mates intervened.

The other poker-mates also agreed to the statement and nodded their heads. And the one lady who seemed to be the most regular member of the club also informed the investigator about Tara Piers's close relationship with the bar tender.

Before me and Scarlet could walk away the investigator stopped me and asked "Who are you you sir? What are you doing here?".

I could feel the blood rushing in my body, but I still kept my calm " Ma'am its very unfortunate what happened here, I had just come to the club to pick my girl from here after the poker game." The investigator seemed to be satisfied with my answer, she gave me and Scarlet a dismissal nod.

As we started to leave I couldn't help but see Tara's body stoned on the couch. The Karma served her right, poor Tara, she tried to poison mine and Scarlet's relationship but ended up being poisoned herself, while her boy toy gets framed for her demise.