Chapter 8: Reconciliation

When I leave the common room in the morning someone grabs my arm. I gasp for air from the surprise. I turn around and see Sebastian.

''We need to talk.'' He says in a low voice, still holding onto my arm.

''Precisely my thought.'' I reply, assuming he's referring to last night's finding.

''But we need to inform Ominis as well.'' He says looking into the ground, kicking his foot against the floor. ''And I don't think I'm the right person to do so. He listens to you.''

''I suppose so.'' I reply. I know he's right and given their icy relationship at the moment I highly doubt that Ominis would listen to a thing Sebastian says.

''I assume you need some time to convince Ominis, let's meet in the Undercroft tomorrow evening.'' Sebastian says before he walks out of the common room.

The only time I see Ominis is at breakfast and during class, but neither are the right time to bring my matter up with him. During charms class I write him a note.

Meet me at The Three Broomsticks. Tonight. 8 pm.

I fold the note like a bird and enchant it, so it flies over to him and also will whisper the message to him. I see Sebastian looking at the note and then onto me. He rolls his eyes slightly. I cannot understand why, since he knows exactly why I'm passing Ominis that note. Ominis seems to hear the note flapping slightly and grabs it after some tries. Suddenly I feel bad for passing him a note instead of simply asking him, after seeing him struggle to catch the note. After hearing the message he nods.

I wait outside The Three Broomsticks five minutes before we're supposed to meet. After making a fool of myself in charms class, I don't want to embarrass him more by him potentially not finding me inside the pub. I see the Slytherin robe and the red sparks from his wand from a hundred metres away.

''Hello, Ominis.'' I say.

''Hi, Y/n.'' He replies as he opens the door to the pub. ''Fancy seeing you here.''

We order one butterbeer each and I lead him to the top floor, where I was sitting with Sebastian a couple of nights ago.

''You didn't catch my joke, did you?'' He asks. I'm confused. ''I said 'fancy seeing you here' but I can in fact not see you.''

I laugh and take a sip of my butterbeer.

''I guess my talents include fighting trolls, not understanding jokes.'' I say while taking another sip.

''I like to assume this is a pretty cozy place.'' Ominis says, looking around the room even though he cannot see what it actually looks like.

''Oh, it is.'' I tell him. ''But that's not why I brought you here, unfortunately enough.''

''Really?'' He asks as if I'm implying something else. ''Then what is it?''

He leans in and looks intrigued.

''Sebastian and I made a discovery after our night in the Undercroft.'' I start. Ominis' face twists into a weird expression I've never seen before.

''I bet you did.'' He says in a bitter tone.

I don't know what he's trying to say, but the atmosphere has changed massively in less than 30 seconds.

''We found a prophecy, I think.'' I tell him. ''It mentioned someone with the last name Gaunt.''

''You think you found a prophecy?'' He asks with an upset voice with emphasis on 'think'.

I nod, but quickly realize he cannot see it.