Chapter 52

A/N: So I understand that in the show Vincent is the psychic, but in this story, I'm actually making it his mother because I want to show growth and development in Xavier's character, and we get to see a little more on why he had it rough after his mother died. I want to expand his character, and I apologize I was looking at the long term rather than the short term of this decision. So please forgive me, but I made this decision for character depth. <3

~~~

"Two damaged souls, trying to heal each other is love"

~~~

As they walked out of the atrium, her heels in her hand as she held onto his arm, she smiled lightly as she recalled the tender moment they had shared on the dance floor. Her feet ached, and her head was spinning, but she knew she would do it all again in a heartbeat. It was pure torture, the enjoyable kind that felt like a satisfying electric pulse that ran through her, bringing her to life as she swayed in his arms. It was worth the pain, as a lot of things were, and she hoped there was more of this in the future.

He opened the car door for her, smiling softly at her as she walked under his arm, sliding into the seat as he quickly made his way back around. The night air spoke of a cold front to come, the howling wind and the swaying trees dancing as the air pierced through the thistles, a low whistle tickling their ears. 

His hand reached for hers, and she looked over at him, his eyes twinkling from the gentle glow of the building. He wrapped his large hands around her small ones, warming them as he held them close. She looked into his eyes, the flickering lights reflecting off of them.

"I enjoyed every second with you tonight, even when we weren't talking. I loved every minute, plus you look really hot. I love you," he whispered, grinning widely as he concluded his statement.

"It was far more pleasurable than I had planned on, and I am appreciative that you stayed by my side every minute. I love you too, Thorpe. Even if you are a child most of the time."

He chuckled, giving her hands a squeeze before he lifted them up, giving her soft skin a kiss before she slid her hands from his. He started the car, and she looked out the window, watching as the lights began to blur around them as they started off to Nevermore.

She had decided to give the flowers to Aunt Sivie, a token of gratitude to her for making her feel more welcome than anyone else had that night, besides the bride and groom. They had made time to come and greet the pair, and he took her from Xavier and danced with her for a while, telling her stories about her parents she hadn't heard before. It was strange, to hear about them in a different light, but also refreshing that he hadn't compared her to her mother.

Xavier danced with his new stepmom, and he told her that he was thankful for her, as she breathed life back into his father. He was once just a shell of himself, a memory that he could still hear, but not quite touch. A beating heart, but nothing within, and an empty frame built to keep one alive, but rather serving as a reason to simply exist. One could be alive, and not live, only exist, and that is in itself heartbreaking to witness. But seeing the way he lit up at the sight of her, that all too lost smile finding its way back to his lips, he knew that he couldn't be mad at the two of them. He had no reason to be because he knew his father had mourned too long for a soul that had never left them, forever there in spirit.

Vincent Thorpe had blamed himself for their deteriorating marriage, though somewhere along the way, there was still love. It broke him to see the woman he had married grow trailer and weaker, sitting on her death bed as she counted down the days. Her weak, pale hands, her thinning hair, his son that sat in his mother's lap, smiling up at her as he watched from afar, peeking through the doorway.