Chapter 9

Somehow, the party had managed to get even more disorganized and atrocious for multiple reasons, one being that now rather than every teen simply being on a sugar high, they were now drunk. The group of friends decided to leave, as it was rumored someone had called the police, and to 'flee while you can.' They quickly got into Ajax's car and were beginning to pull out when the Sheriff's car stopped at the curb. The noirette watched as he carefully crossed the yard, spotting Yoko, and he pulled her to the side, whispering something hastily into her ear before pushing into the house. 

"Xavier," Wednesday leaned over into the boy slightly, her voice low as she continued to look out the window. "I saw the Sheriff-"

Xavier nodded, interrupting. "I saw it too."

Wednesday shot him a glare, his ignorance yet attention to detail leaving her confused about how to react to the interaction.

The artist leaned down, whispering into her ear as she slowly turned to him. "We'll discuss it later, okay?"

This sensation in her stomach burst as that familiar spider feeling returned, his mouth so close to the nape of her neck, and she nodded sharply before looking out the window. 

~~

"So...did you enjoy the party with Xavier?" Enid bumped playfully into Wednesday, a smirk erupting from the gothic psychic's face as she stared straight ahead.

"It wasn't entirely terrible."

Enid smiled, her heart leaping with joy as she realized she was bringing the girl from her shell, and that she was finally opening back up after everything with that normie. She was still extremely upset about what Tyler had done to her, but she knew that she would always choose to be there for Wednesday over her hate for him. It wasn't worth hating when it meant only hurting your friends further.

They quietly walked into their dorm, their eyes beginning to droop as they slowly got ready for bed. The familiar chills of the night were beginning to take their toll on the noirette, but she ignored the persistent feeling until she climbed into bed. 

Once the lights were off, Wednesday lay there thinking. 

There were many possible reasons for the Sheriff to target her. It was only a matter of figuring out exactly what that was. It wasn't like she continued to talk to his son, and she hadn't bothered him since the case. But there was still his anger against her dad, though that should have been settled long ago. Her stomach got that familiar giddy feeling, the one where she was itching to find a lead, some form of evidence that would help them get closer to figuring out who this was, and what they wanted. Xavier would help her with parts, but she could do it herself for the safety of Nevermore.

At the mention of Xavier, her heart fluttered, and she cringed at the girlish reaction. She wasn't sure why he was different from everyone else, why he was the exception. Her actions tonight certainly proved that. She had initiated affection towards him, and they had almost shared a moment. The raven wasn't sure what was coming over her, and why it was now. 

Now she wasn't sure if it was what Enid had considered a crush, but she wasn't sure it was anything less. This had been a familiar idea before, several times actually. But now...it seemed utterly unbearable, and very evident there was more to their relationship than just friendship.

She fell asleep to thoughts of him, her mind cleansing itself from everything else as he filled her mind.

~~

Xavier threw paint on the canvas, not sure what it was becoming yet, though he was sure he had a pretty good idea of what it would be. 

1:32, and he was still stuck on everything. Wednesday plagued his mind, and he wasn't sure it was a bad thing. He liked her, a lot, but what were the chances she reciprocated? And even then, he didn't want to hurt her in any way. He didn't want to find himself hurting her, or treating her the way he had treated Bianca, regardless if they were both in the wrong.