Chapter 33

When they walked back into the small party, everyone applauded them, and they both turned and blushed. 

Xavier grinned but was also flustered by their action. While he was proud about being with Wednesday, he didn't want their relationship to gain a ton of attention. He wanted fewer problems, and one of the ways he could do that was by minimizing the group who knew about their relationship. 

Wednesday secretly enjoyed the applause, but her face had betrayed her. She had wanted to keep her cool, but her emotions had other ideas. Her thoughts flew back to the events that just took place, and it only made her blush deepen into a crimson red.  God, sometimes she wished she could conceal her blush. Then she wouldn't feel as exposed.

Enid ran up to her, giving her a big hug as she grinned.

"I shipped you two from day one," she whispered in Wednesday's ear, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Mhm."

Enid pulled back, giving her a wink before going back to Ajax, and Wednesday turned to look at Xavier. His eyes were already on her, and a smile rested on his face. He stuck out his hand, and she quickly took it. Her eyes flickered down to his lips, but Eugene appeared in front of her, catching her slightly off guard. Convenient.

"Happy Birthday Wednesday!"

He pulled out a little card, little bees covering the front of it. Wednesday's eyes softened, as she eased her hand out of Xavier's to open it, reading the short but sincere note.

Dear Wednesday,

Thank you for being a part of the Nevermore Hummers! And for being my friend, I couldn't have asked for a more spooky one. Make sure to stop by once in a while, the bees (and me) miss you!

~Eugene

She closed the card and looked up at him, quirking her eyebrow as the corners of her mouth turned up. Her arm wrapped around him, giving him a small hug before pulling back to look at him.

"I will be over soon, for the bees of course."

He chuckled lightly, smiling at the monotone girl.

"Talk to you later, Wednesday."

Nodding at Xavier, he walked off, and she assumed he was going to hang around Enid. Xavier came to her side, and she looked over at him.

"Do you want to open your gifts now, or later?"

Her eyes flew to her bed, and there were a few gifts in a small pile. 

"Later, I don't want any more squealing or excitement for the night or my head might explode."

He chuckled, and her hand slowly went to fiddle with her necklace. The pad of her finger ran over the small crystal, and she traced the shape of the small charm. She looked at him, smiling slightly. 

"I'm gonna go grab something, do you want anything?"

She shook her head, and his eyes trailed down to the necklace she was now playing with. He met her eyes, nodding before heading over to the food. Looking around once more, she realized there was only a total of 5 other people there, including Thing. Even if he was only a hand, he had a mind of his own.

As Xavier came back, she remembered he had told her he was working tonight, and she face-palmed as she realized her error. How could she have been so foolish as to not pick up this detail before? Slightly grateful she hadn't caught it, but also ashamed she didn't.

He was holding two drinks, along with a cupcake, and handed her one. She looked down at the pink drink, taking a quick sip before looking back at him.

"I realized my foolish error."