Chapter 31

"Someone's birthday is coming up soon," Enid whispered, her throat hoarse from the breathing tube.

Wednesday rolled her eyes but smiled back down at Enid.  She was glad she was back, but she had to admit she did not miss the fact that Enid had a tendency to go all out for certain events, and she feared her birthday was one of them.

"Don't expect me to pity you and let you throw a party for me."

Xavier and Ajax laughed, and Enid smirked. 

"I'm glad you all are here, it really means a lot. I heard Ajax talking a lot, but from time to time I heard Wednesday and Xavier also."

She looked up at Ajax, who smiled back down at her.

"Oh, Wednesday I didn't do anything stupid. I'm here still!"

Wednesday scoffed, and Enid softly laughed at her.

 Xavier and Wednesday exchanged glances, sharing a tender look before focusing back on Enid. She looked down at the pair, giving a wide smile.

"Now are you two official? You've had all break to do so!"

Wednesday shifted uncomfortably, and Xavier mimicked her.

They caught each other's glance, Xavier asking her silently, to which she slightly shrugged.

"I'll take that as a yes!"

Enid grinned and tried to sit up, but winced in pain before Ajax helped her gently lay back again. She settled back into the bed, her face slightly contorted with pain before she was comfortable, looking back at them.

"I knew you two would end up together," she mumbled.

Ajax looked between the two, and they stood awkwardly, waiting for the topic to change. Xavier cleared his throat, and Wednesday shifted on her foot. She hated when this tension surrounded them, and now they had to reconsider their relationship status.

Wednesday didn't want to risk anyone else getting hurt, especially Xavier. He had already been a victim in the game, and she couldn't bare him getting used as a way to draw her to the stalker. Her thoughts flew to her initial idea, but she quickly shook it off, remembering her promise to Xavier.

"Well, hopefully, you'll make it back to Nevermore this week," stated Xavier.

Wednesday had nearly forgotten all about the school, and going back the following Monday. She groaned inwardly, thinking about all the preparations she would have to do. But she also was slightly saddened by the fact she and Xavier wouldn't have as much time to spend together. I mean, she figured they would still talk often and such, but it wouldn't be the same.

"I think I'll make it, I'll just have to be extra careful."

A nurse came in, along with Mrs. Sinclaire.

"Oh honey, you're looking more alive than ever! Hello everyone!"

Scattered replies echoed from the group, and Enid's mother beamed. Wednesday wondered if they ever got tired of smiling so much, as they seemed to be very similar in mannerisms. She noticed they looked quite similar too, both with wide smiles and blue eyes.

"Well, we'll leave you to visit. We're glad you're awake Enid!"

Enid beamed at Xavier, and Wednesday walked to Enid's side, leaning down to give her a soft hug.

"As much as I hate to admit it, I missed your constant chatter and smiles. You are a great friend. Thank you."

Enid's smile only widened, which Wednesday thought was impossible, yet here she was.