Chapter 32

Eyes watched her as she walked to her next class, and she couldn't help but glare at them. She was used to the wondering eyes, but never for this reason. She got butterflies every time she thought about it, but quickly brushed the feeling away. 

Walking through the door, her eyes landed on the boy who seemed to have stolen her heart, or however the saying went. She had only heard it a few times, and then it made her want to rip her eardrums out, but now she understood the little expression.

"Hey."

"Hello."

She sat down beside him, and he quickly grabbed her hand, and she looked at him.

"Guess what?"

"Hm?"

"I got your gift."

She rolled her eyes, tapping the pencil on the desk.

"You didn't have to."

"Of course I did, it only conveys my love for you even more."

Her eyes drifted to his, and he could see the sorrow flooding into her eyes. He hadn't meant to upset her, he just wanted to surprise her. His stomach churned, not at all expecting this reaction.

"I'm sorry if you don't want it-"

"No, no. It isn't that I don't want it. I just can't believe someone could possibly love someone like me."

She looked down, her head and heart feeling heavy all of a sudden. She wanted to take back what she had just said, it only made her more vulnerable at this moment. What if he decided he really didn't mean it? Her mind couldn't wrap itself around the idea, but she wanted to take his word for it.

Suddenly she felt her chin being lifted, and Xavier was looking down at her with a delicate expression.

"I didn't tell you I loved you to hear it back, I told you so that you knew. Wednesday, you are far out of my league, with your brilliant outlook and witty comebacks. Your ability to read between the lines, and to remain calm in dangerous situations? You are remarkably strong and you persevere, even with all the odds against you."

She searched for the lie, searched for something that might have given away that he was lying, or showed her that he didn't believe a word he said. But he didn't flinch, he didn't turn away. He gave no indicators that he was lying, and it caught her slightly off guard. He just sat there, waiting for her response.

"Really?" was all she could muster, her face flushing at his words. She felt like facepalming, reminding herself of a cheesy romance novel. It made her cringe slightly, but those thoughts vanished as she looked back into his eyes.

"Yes, really."

She gave him a small smile, before pulling away as the teacher came in.

~~

Once Wednesday arrived back at her dorm, she once again found a note sitting in front of her door. She hesitantly picked it up, but this time saw it was from Principal Carter. She tore open the envelope quickly as she entered her dorm, throwing her books on her bed. 

Meet me in my office at 5. - Principal Carter

Sounded slightly threatening, but she wasn't fazed. She grabbed her phone out, quickly texting Xavier.

Wednesday: Are you free?

Xavier: Yeah, I am. What's up? :)

Wednesday: Meet me at my dorm, please.

Xavier:  Whatever you say :)

She quickly went and grabbed her books, setting them neatly on her desk before checking around, making sure it was fairly clean. Shortly after she sat on her bed, a knock startled her out of her thoughts. She quickly went to open it, ushering Xavier inside quickly before shutting the door.