Chapter 7

"Ajax just asked me to the spring formal!!!" Enid hopped around excitedly, holding a rose he had given her up in the air, inhaling the scent deeply before spinning around once more.

Wednesday watched her silently, her eyes following the energetic girl dancing around the room.  She couldn't believe her ears as she waited for the girl to settle, the question rolling off her tongue.

"There is another one of those wretched dances?" 

Enid gave her a sarcastic look before smiling again, twirling her finger around the flower as she nodded.

"Yes! We have two a year. I'm glad I get to go to this one as his date!" Enid waltzed over, a glint in her eye. It was that suspicious one that warned the raven she planned on doing something she knew she wouldn't like, and she prepared herself as the werewolf smiled at her mischievously. 

"Are you going with Xavier this time?" She raised her eyebrows, and let out a small giggle.

"I'm not sure I will be attending this dance." 

Enid gasped, almost dropping the rose as the raven walked away from her, deciding there was homework she could be doing instead of discussing an irrelevant dance.

"What?! You have to go. It wouldn't be the same without you! I didn't even get to dance with you last time! And who would Xavier go with?" Enid attempted, pouting over at her roommate who offered a black stare, staying silent as she contemplated her options.

It was like Enid to try and guilt-trip her into going, she was sure the threat of her having claws would follow with the way things were going. Xavier had plenty of girls to go with, she wasn't sure why the blonde suggested her being the one he wanted to take. A small part of her almost wished he would ask her as his date to the dance, even if she hadn't wanted to go.

"I am not focused on this Enid. I have other things to attend rather than another abominable dance. It is a waste thinking about something that is still a while away." She looked back at her blank sheet of paper, tapping her finger on the desk. There was no way she could concentrate, nor could she ignore her roommate's consistent chatter about material things. 

"You should be. You have to have time to plan out your outfit, your hair, and everything else! It would have to be the perfect night, perfectly organized. You like planning ahead, and me telling you right now that this would be a good time to get things set up might actually help reduce the stress of the night," the werewolf advised.

Wednesday rolled her eyes, not bothering to rationalize with the girl any further. It would only egg on the argument that she did not see herself inherently engaged in, so she remained silent. She was dedicated to finishing this book by the end of the month. But somehow, she trailed back to this formal, and a certain boy she hoped would ask her to it. She frowned, not knowing where this sudden sense had come from. 

~~

With the week coming to an end, it felt longer than usual as the raven stalked around the school, trying to find something to help with her case but came out empty-handed. The weekend would provide a short grace period, which she would balance out among the plethora of things she needed to get done. But her mind couldn't break from her stalker, her eyes following Yoko as she crossed the grass. Wednesday lingered near the wall, hiding in the shadows. She watched everyone hustle about, ignoring her as she silently observed them pass. 

"Hey, Wednesday. What are you doing over here?" Xavier stood in front of her, almost pinning her in her place. The idea made her stomach flutter, but she quickly hushed the thought as she scowled up at him. Not only had he interrupted her thoughts, he now blocked her view of Yoko completely.