Chapter 38

"you will never know how far my soul has traveled to reach yours." -JH Hard

~~~

"No. I simply don't have any desire to show you around," Wednesday stated, giving the girl a hard glare. It had only been a few minutes and she had managed to already grind on Wednesday's nerves. Xavier attempted to stifle his laughter, seeing as Wednesday was clearly trying to get the girl to stop talking. But the girl wasn't catching on.

"Oh okay! Maybe-"

Wednesday turned back around, cutting her off. The girl continued to attempt a conversation before falling silent, sitting back down in her seat. Why the girl had decided to try and befriend her was beyond her comprehension, but she hoped the girl was smart enough to pick up the hints.

Xavier looked over at Wednesday and grinned at her.

"Seems like you've made a new friend, Wendy."

"Shut it," muttered Wednesday, rolling her eyes.

He chuckled before silence fell over the pair. He had only offered the girl his name, before turning and doodling in his journal. Unfortunately, this girl seemed to be interested on Wednesday.

 Wednesday started to open her book when Amanda leaned forward and tapped her on the shoulder. She turned quickly, and Amanda immediately removed her hand. 

"Do you know someone who could give me a tour?" Her eyes flew to Xavier, causing Wednesday to shoot daggers at her. She couldn't believe the ignorance and audacity this girl had.

"You weren't given a tour when you arrived?"

The girl shook her head.

Wednesday grimaced, muttering something under her breath before she looked back at the girl.

"I'll have my good friend Enid give you a tour. She knows a lot more about the school than I do."

"Oh! Are you new as well?"

"No."

Amanda nodded, her smile fading slightly as she looked from Wednesday to Xavier.

Wednesday turned abruptly, refusing to interact with the girl any further. She didn't know what Amanda's intentions were, so she would have to be vigilant. 

Paranoid? 

No, she preferred cautious.

~~

Once class ended, Wednesday and Xavier began to head down the hall when they heard someone call after them. An all too familiar voice that made her want to rip her eardrums out.

"Guys! Wait up!"

They slowly turned to find Amanda panting behind them, to which they shared a quick look before focusing on her.

"Can I eat lunch with y'all?"

Xavier offered a small smile, nodding his head as he turned back around, sliding his hand into Wednesday's. She clenched her jaw, deciding against voicing her answer. Her wounds were aching, and she just wanted to sit down. And having Amanda following them was not making things better.

For some reason, she felt the need to watch this girl, and she wasn't sure why. She merely had her suspicions about her. It wasn't jealousy, more pure annoyance. Not just anyone had the courage to talk to her, with her foreboding appearance. But something about her cheery disposition seemed to throw Wednesday off her tracks. It seemed...fake? Like an act almost. She decided she would ask Xavier if he felt anything weird about Amanda, but it would have to wait until she was out of earshot.