Chapter 34

A/N

The way I STRUGGLED to find a nickname for her, I considered Weds, Wedi, and Nessie, but Nes seemed to fit her. I know some people have already used it, but I think the plainness suits her best.

Happy reading!

~~~

"Thank you for coming out with me tonight," smiled Xavier, leaning into her shoulder as she looked up at him.

"I had nothing better to do."

He gave her a hurt look, and she smirked at him.

"Ouch. Way to tug at the heartstrings."

"Maybe if I had a heart I could relate."

He scoffed at her remark, knowing she was only trying to make up excuses.

"If you didn't have a heart, you wouldn't have come to dinner with me."

Rolling her eyes, she grabbed the menu and scanned over it once more.

Her thoughts drifted to the nightmare she had the night before, the images playing out once again as she shivered. She wanted to tell Xavier, but then again she didn't want him to be worried about her. She could fend for herself, well, for the most part. But she feared this time, she may not be so lucky.

She abruptly turned to him, pulling herself from his side and taking a deep breath. He watched her, his eyebrows lifting as she met his gaze.

"I had a nightmare, moments before you entered the room last night. It consisted of most of the visions I had..."

She trailed off, remembering the one vision it hadn't shown. The one that consisted of her being wounded, and Xavier comforting her. Well, at least she knew how it ended. She shook her head, clearing the thought as she continued.

"It was in chronological order, or I assume so as they seemed to fit so well. The raven was there, circling over me as I lay there."

He turned towards her, resting his hand on her arm as he gave her a worried look.

"I'm so sorry Nes... I should've been here to comfort you sooner."

"You couldn't have possibly known. I'm just...glad you're here now."

He frowned, looking down at his hands.

If only he had thought before he said things, he might have been there for her. He cursed himself, making a vow to at least try and think through things before he said anything out of anger. He looked at the girl who sat in front of him and was grateful for another chance.

Wednesday lifted her hand to his cheek, her thumb rubbing his bottom lip. He gave the pad of her finger a small kiss, and she slowly smiled at the gesture.

"I'm here."

She turned and leaned back against his side, taking in his smell and the beat of his heart. Unusually fast, she remarked, but maybe he was excited or anxious about something.

They sat there a while, letting the silence come over them as they worked through their thoughts.

"Nes?"

Her head tilted up at him, curiosity filling her eyes.

"I just figured you could use a nickname."

She thought about all the nicknames her father called her but figured those were more terms of endearment rather than a shortened version of her name. This was somehow different when he gave her a nickname, it felt...that feeling came to her stomach again, and she felt a tingly sensation. Whatever that was.