Chapter 24

"You."

The word melted her ice-cold heart, and she held her breath. She was tempted to pinch herself, just to see if it was actually happening and not just a vision. Her head swirled, and she felt weak. She wanted answers, she wanted to know why her. Why he had picked her, after everything she had done? She didn't feel worthy of it. Of his affections, of his friendship.

"Why me?"

He raised his hand to her cheek, holding her face. 

How he would give the world just for her to see how beautiful and divine she truly was.

"Why anybody else?"

Her eyes fluttered; he made her feel the way music did when she could play for hours on end, and it never failed to make her feel. He made her complete, and she couldn't describe the feeling that had been plaguing her...

Oh.

This was love.

This was what her parents had meant, finding someone who made you feel powerful. Finding someone that stays by your side, someone who encourages the best sides of you. He did so much more than that; he had managed to like her. Her heartbeat quickened, as she realized she had done the thing she swore she would never do. But the more her mind picked at the idea, the fonder of the subject she had become. She wasn't sure if she could love like her parents, but she would love the way that fit her and Xavier. She was completely enraptured in him at this moment, with nothing but him on her mind.

He watched her as she put the pieces together, almost laughing as he saw her realization.

She looked up, and he could see the longing in her eyes. He gently grabbed her hands and looked at her.

"Can I?" He whispered, peering into her eyes.

She nodded slowly, smirking a little.

Suddenly their lips collided, meeting each other with such passion. He grabbed her face, pulling it in closer to his. She let her hand travel up the back of his neck, settling in his hair. She hadn't done this before, but with him, it felt so natural, so right. The tension settled into a calming aura that surrounded the two, both of them surrendering to the other at this moment.

They pulled back, breathing hard as the emotions flooded in.

Leaning their foreheads together, they stood for a while, holding each other. They were both trying to figure out the next step, with their lives being in the position they were now. She wanted so badly to be with him, and he with her, but she didn't know if she could with the stalker still around. She couldn't risk him getting hurt again, she couldn't bare to see him unresponsive to her touch. 

He kissed her nose and leaned his head back, now looking at her. He offered her a small sad smile, and she knew then that he had also considered everything.

He gently laid his hand on her cheek, and she leaned into it, giving him a small smile.

"I will wait for you, in every lifetime."

They watched each other, vowing silently to wait for each other.

She hated that she had to wait even longer. The raging passion she felt for him was burning through her. She was ready to solve the case more than ever, urgent to get it over with. She felt her head spinning, and she felt nausea. The thought of making it this far just for them to have to wait broke both of their hearts. But they knew it was the best thing at the moment.

He knew she had come to the same conclusion he had, and it killed him. His heart ached because he wanted to feel her lips on his. He wanted to kiss her again and again, reminding her that he was there for her. He was desperate to help her in any way he could, to try and get this case solved and closed. All he wanted was for her to be safe and happy, and with the stalker still, around, she wasn't safe. He would be lying if he admitted that was the only reason. He wanted her to be with him, he wanted to hear her laugh and see her reactions to everything. Her aura was threatening and powerful, and it only made him fall more for her. The spooky girl that even stood out at a school for outcasts. The girl that had taken an arrow for him, the girl that held his hand and stuck by his side, even after the things he had said to hurt her.