Chapter 12

There was only one thing to do in these sorts of situations: run.

So that's what she did.

The person that was behind her started to quickly follow, and they were beginning to close in on her. Her heart pounded, her legs were beginning to cramp, the intesne swell of adrenaline flooding her thoughts as she focused on the place she was heading; the art shed. She ran into tree branches, the branches jutting out at her, and one swiping at her cheek. She ignored the slight burn, her mind in a frenzy as she swiftly jumped over a large log. She didn't look back and continued pushing herself until she reach the door to the studio. Yanking it open, she quickly slid in through the small crack in the door and slammed it shut, her fingers hastily moving to lock the door before anyone could invite themselves in. With a satisfying click, she sighed, her back against the door as she slid down, resting her chin on her knees. 

She looked up to find a wide-eyed Xavier, his mouth opening and closing as he tried to formulate a sentence. He looked more shocked than she did, and she was surprised he was still breathing with the unsettling way he seemed to be holding his breath.

"Wednesday what the hell-"

She motioned for him to be quiet, shaking her head curtly. Whatever was chasing her didn't try and yank the door open, but instead walked away with small crunches in the leaves. Her ears seemed to perk up, and she quickly stood but wobbled slightly, sparking the artist's arm to shoot out and steady her.

"Wednesday what happened? Who was out there? And god you're bleeding-"

He went and got a first aid kit, quickly walking about out as he silently asked permission to clean her cut. The noirette nodded, still trying to regain her composure after the unexpected chase. He walked over slowly, holding a small cotton ball toward her as she whiffed the familiar smell of rubbing alcohol. Xavier gently grabbed her chin and turned it away from him, and with his other hand began to dab the bloodied cut. Wednesday clenched her jaw, the stinging feeling not quite as comforting as usual. She assumed her nerves prevented her from relishing in the satisfying burn it offered.

"Sorry."

He cleaned around the cut, making sure to get the blood cleaned off before sticking a pink bandaid on her chin, much to her dismay. Xavier chuckled lightly, biting his lip as he looked at the girl who now threatened him with her dagger-like stare.

She wanted to start from the beginning and tell him everything, but she couldn't find the right moment to do it. Having him so close induced this feeling of awe and breathlessness, though she didn't appreciate the breathlessness aspect of it, she couldn't help but melt at his touch. The cut ended out being deeper than she would have expected, and it continued to burn under the despicable bandaid that now rested over it.

He stood up, grabbing the first aid kit and walking back across the studio to put it up before turning and looking at her, slowly making his way back to her side as she watched him carefully.

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?"

 He gestured for her to sit in the chair, and he helped her get to it. Her legs ached, and she hated to admit that they were shaking too. He noticed how shaken up she was and sat on the ground in front of her, holding his hands out. She hesitantly grabbed them, and he rested them on her shaking legs. That helped; and it made her feel safe. She hadn't ever planned to find someone she would trust this much, but she had. 

"I was coming out here, to meet you as we planned. It was quiet, and I was suddenly plagued with this sense that I wasn't alone, and that's when a branch snapped. I started running; I wasn't sure why but whoever it was, they pursued me until I made it here. Along the way, I ran into a tree branch, hence the gash." She gestured up to the now patched cut, her hands drooping back down to her sides as she shifted in her seat.