Chapter 14

They eventually found the UV light and headed back to Nevermore, both of them anxious to discover more evidence for the case. It was already 12:45, and they were both getting hungry, considering they usually got served lunch around this time.

Xavier pursed his lips, mentally debating asking her to have lunch with him or simply letting it be, taking her back to Nevermore and never getting the courage to actually go for it... you only live once, he supposed.

"Do you want to have lunch with me, Wednesday?"

His question ripped through the depths of her mind, all productive thoughts coming to a halt at the thought of having lunch with him. She wanted to get back to identifying any fingerprints, but she found herself already responding to his offer before she could stop herself.

"I suppose we are able to eat quickly, but then we must return to Nevermore."

She almost smiled at him but held back, deciding she was enjoying her time with him, more than she had anticipated, but nevertheless not enough to actually smile at him. Now that they had accomplished what they came to do, they could do as they pleased. Of course, she wanted to get back, but being with him... there was something that continued to drag her toward him as if they were connected in some strange way.

It was deadly, she knew, if she continued to be dragged along by childish impulse and lust, but she was certain giving in to an offer that was presented to her was the least of her problems at the moment.

He swiftly parked the car in front of a small dinner, and she slowly leaned forward. He watched her eyes move across the big letters, grinning as he felt his heart beat quicker against his chest.

Homemade Bakery

Never in her life had she encountered the dinner, but she assumed that was due to the brightly colored banners that decorated the building, the bright blue curtains, and overly cheery workers far too overstimulating for her family to even handle. The noirette found herself unable to deal with her parent's gleeful behavior, but she wasn't sure what she would do if she found herself surrounded by smiling workers grinning down at her. Her hand slid into her pocket, wrapping around her small pocket knife as she smirked softly at the cool touch.

There were always ways to wipe witless grins off of their faces.

Xavier got out and fell in step at her side, and they walked into the dinner. The raven was more weary than him but was instantly calmed by the state of the restaurant, taking a deep breath as she absorbed it all. The quietness, and the fact hardly anyone glanced up at them as they walked in. Most of the other customers were staring blankly at their computers or phones, and the workers mindlessly stared off into space.

She looked up at Xavier, whose eyes danced around the tables and paintings that lingered around the walls, and he quickly pushed his hair back with his hand before looking down at her. His expression changed dramatically, and he appeared to be a small, lost child among the colorful decorations, and his eyebags seemed darker and he seemed more pale as he offered her a smile.

"My mother used to bring me here, and my dad would come too."

He stood silently, looking around the room once more before his eyes landed on a table, and he began walking toward it, the raven following in stealthy silence. They sat down, the tortured artist comfortably gazing at her as she waited expectantly.

What the gothic psych was waiting for she wasn't quite sure of, but something seemed to be telling her that she was supposed to hear this and to remain silent and wait for him to finish the story he had started moments earlier.