Chapter 4

"Thanks for coming to lunch with me Wednesday. I'm glad you found me worthy of your time, even though I'm sure you could have figured this out all on your own," he chuckled, and the sound echoed inside her, vibrating through her as she offered a slow nod.

He grinned, and she merely glared back. 

It wasn't like she willingly went; Thing had insisted on it. That appendage was going to suffer detrimental damage for ditching her... but for some reason, her heart fluttered, and she wasn't sure why. She found herself beginning to smile, the recollection of the outing flooding her mind before she cleared her throat, the smile disappearing along with it. 

He watched out of the side of his eye the small smile that bloomed across her face, and he couldn't help but grin like an idiot as he drove her back to her house.

Wednesday Addams did indeed feel what he felt, or so he hoped from that reaction, and he felt himself wanting to gush over how pretty she was, how adorably small she was compared to him, how her hand could easily be enveloped in his, and anything that involved how much he adored her. But he knew doing that would result in his untimely death, which wouldn't be convenient considering he was going to be helping her with this new stalker.

They had both silently agreed to not bring up the hand thing, but both of them secretly blushed at the thought of it. It was foolish to deny the electric shock that shot through them at the small, insignificant touch, but to her, it was much more than she had ever intended it to be.

The raven-haired girl looked out the window, watching as dark clouds began to cover the sky.  The familiar eeriness of the storm began to settle in, and she suddenly had the urge to turn to Xavier and thank him. It was an unprovoked thought, catalyzed by nothing but the pure recollection of their time. It wasn't something she went out of her way to do, but she figured...what was the harm in attempting something new while she felt slightly audacious?

"Your help has certainly been useful."

He looked over at her, trying to contain his smile yet again that wanted so badly to stretch across his face.

"I'm taken aback by this uncharacteristic behavior Addams, you continue to surprise me," he laughed, and she gave him a death stare before turning away, replying with a small hum.

Ridiculous of him to even consider it out of character, as she was sure she would be able to do it as she pleased...she just didn't feel the inane desire for people's approval, and therefore didn't feel the need to give her 'thanks' when she wasn't grateful for minimal, compelled help.

They rode in silence for the rest of the way, and she was thinking about the stalker while Xavier thought about them. He wanted for there to be more between them, but he knew it would be a long process before he ever got Wednesday to confess any 'feelings' to him. He knew there was something there because if there wasn't she would have snatched her hand away. That was something to go on, right? He still had a pit of guilt sitting in his stomach, from everything he had told her, everything he did that hurt her. It became his goal to try and find a good time to confess how sorry he was and to try and earn her forgiveness. 

It really did cut deeply for him as well, though he wasn't quite sure why. He knew it wasn't his place to feel hurt by the lame threats and insults he tossed at her in a fit of anger, but he would have much preferred to relay his opinions to her in a calm manner. He behaved like an ill-mannered child, and he wasn't afraid to admit that much to himself. But he would make an attempt to smooth over an area that he had hastily covered with thinly veiled plaster that was slowly peeling away to reveal a nasty gash of unsolved questions and apologies.