(14) Unnecessary Apologies

"WHY DIDN'T YOU LET anyone call me when you were sent to the hospital? I had to find out from Gelo when I should have been the first one to know," I immediately start complaining while holding onto my mother's hand

Mama was lying on the hospital bed, weakly smiling as she stared at me. For a moment, I wasn't sure why she was giving me such a look, but then I noticed that she was actually staring at the uniform that I was wearing.

"I left the house before I even saw you. I didn't know that you bought yourself a uniform," mama says with a sad smile. "You should have told me sooner. I would have bought one for you."

"Ma, this isn't the time to be worrying about such things," I quickly tell her, and mom reaches out and gently touches my cheek.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes to feel her warmth. After hearing about what happened to her, I thought my entire world would crumble. But now that I'm seeing her and feeling her like this, I couldn't help but be relieved.

"Thank God you're okay," I whisper, squeezing her hand even tighter. I wanted to tell her how scared I was. I wanted to tell her that despite everything I'd been through growing up, I felt like a child again. I felt so helpless.

But I didn't tell her anything. I didn't tell her because she needed my strength now more than ever.

"Dom, I'm sorry if I didn't let anyone tell you about what happened to me. I didn't want you to worry, especially since your exam is coming up. But I guess keeping my condition a secret only worried you even more," my mom then tells me, slowly removing her hand from my cheek.

"From now on, if you're not feeling well, you should tell me immediately, okay? It's just you and me against the world, remember?" I say with a bitter heart since I know full well that I couldn't even keep these words myself.

"You're acting as if I'm not the mom here."

"Well, you're acting like the kid here, so I might as well steal the part."

My mom laughed, and the moment I heard that sound, I knew that she was going to be okay.

"By the way, how was school? Don't tell me you cut class," mama then says, and I quickly shake my head to deny it.

"Of course not. Classes were over, and I was just studying at the library when I heard the news. In fact, I'm with someone right now. He's the one who drove me here and is just waiting outside," I tell her, and mama suddenly hits my arm.

It looks like she really is okay now.

"Why didn't you tell me that you're with someone? Ask him to come here. How could you just let him wait for you outside when he drove you all the way here?" my mom starts to nag, and I sigh and nod my head in defeat as I walk my way to the door.

I open the door and peek out to see Aries sitting just outside the room while checking his phone. He saw me and instantly stood from his seat. "Dom, is your mom doing okay?" He asks.