(1) Freshmen Orientation

MY ALARM STARTS RINGING, almost making me fall off the bed because I was desperately trying to reach my phone on my desk instead of just standing up to grab it

MY ALARM STARTS RINGING, almost making me fall off the bed because I was desperately trying to reach my phone on my desk instead of just standing up to grab it. As soon as I got a hold of it, I turned the alarm off and went back to bed, hoping that I'd wake up after a couple of minutes and not be late on my first day in college.

"Domingo! You better not be in bed again!" I could hear my mother shout, and her loud voice was honestly a better alarm than any of the alarms I'd set because I instantly got up from the bed without any hesitation.

Today was my first day in college. After barely graduating in senior high school, I was able to get into a good university as a BS Secondary Education English Major.

I was a troublesome student, and I wasn't the best kid either, so my friends laughed at me when I told them I wanted to become a teacher. There's actually a valid reason for that because my mother, who singlehandedly raised me on her own, is a teacher herself. I see what she does, and so I thought I'd have a knockout of it too.

Another thing is, we're what others like to refer to it as people in the lower class of society, or in my straightforward term, dead-ass poor. That's why I'm trying to be a good student, just so I wouldn't fail her, especially when college tuition is hella expensive. I want to do well so she wouldn't have to work so much for us.

"I'm heading out, mama!" I shouted as I was wearing my shoes outside our house.

My mom rushes to my side and looks at me with a smile. "Look at my handsome college student. It feels like yesterday when I was still carrying you in my arms, and now you're so big," she said while messing with my hair.

"Ma, I just put gel on that," I complained, looking at my reflection in the window to fix it again. "And besides, I'm already nineteen, not a baby," I reminded her, making her laugh.

"Here," Mom said before handing me my daily allowance. I looked at the amount and looked at her with worry. "Ma, this amount is bigger than last year. I got by with just 300 per week. Here, you can have the rest and—"

I was about to hand some of the money back, but Mama pushed my hand away and gave me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry. Adding a little more won't hurt. Besides, college requires a lot more work. I want you to be able to eat properly, okay?"

"But ma..."

"No more buts. Now go, or you'll be late," she insisted, so I just took the money and hid it in my wallet before giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm heading out!" I announced before taking my leave.

Commuting from my house to my university takes at least an hour and a half. If it's rush hour, it will take at least two to three hours, and that depends on the weather too. I'd personally want to just stay at the dorms if I could, but that would be expensive, and I don't really have the luxury for that.

I'm not expecting much on my first day of school, but I'm excited about it regardless. I wasn't exactly an introvert, but I wasn't an extrovert either. Making friends wasn't always a challenge for me, and I know how to handle people because I've worked part-time during the summer. I honestly want to continue working so I can help out with the finances at home, but my mother forbids me to work while I study. Maybe it's just the teacher in her that's stopping me; who knows?