(8) Work Balance

IT TOOK A WHILE for me to tell my mom about the job I was able to get yesterday, but when I saw her in the living room drinking coffee and watching her favorite morning show, I knew this was the perfect opportunity for me to open it up

"Morning, ma," I greeted, sitting beside her on the sofa. Mama's eyes were glued to the screen of the television, but she nodded her head to acknowledge me.

I start fidgeting with my fingers and glance back at her before looking down at my fingers again. "Ma, I have something to tell you," I start.

"Hmm?" She answers, obviously more interested in the actors on the screen than the son that's bugging her.

I cleared my throat and scratched the back of my head before telling her what was on my mind. "I was offered a part-time job, and I took it," I finally say.

I thought that this would be the perfect time to tell her such a thing. Obviously, I was wrong about that because mom ended up putting her coffee down and removing her eyes from the television screen to look back at me with a serious expression. When she looks at you like that, you know you've fucked up.

"Dom, what did I say about—"

"It's not something that would disrupt my studies. It's on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. And I'm not really doing anything crazy," I try to explain to her, hoping she can give me the go signal.

"And what job is it anyway?" She sternly asked, and I was so nervous that I was about to truthfully tell her that it was a gay bar, but I was able to stop myself in time. Lying to her seriously requires complete concentration.

"It's at a 24-hour computer shop near our campus. A friend of mine knows the owner and said they're looking for someone who can look after the shop during the night," I explain, managing to come up with the perfect answer within seconds.

"And who is this friend you're referring to?" Mom asks next, which is a question I already expected.

If I tell her it's Gelo, she'll definitely ask me to forget about it. Gelo can get you any job since he knows a lot of people, but that also means that he gets mixed up with dangerous people too. I have to name someone who my mom won't suspect.

"Actually, I haven't really mentioned it yet, but the guy who told me about the job was my senior partner. His name is Aries, and he's the student body president," I continue to lie, and I know that I'm currently trying to forget about this guy, but if I use him as a cover-up, mama would definitely say yes. This is payback for being rude to me yesterday.

Mama was obviously surprised. She must not have expected that I'd know someone so responsible. Looks like using the council president as my alibi was a genius idea after all.

"Your senior partner? The same guy who thinks you're annoying?" My mom then asks, almost making me slap myself.

Okay, maybe that wasn't a genius idea after all. How can I forget that I ranted about him last night? Now my mom's going to think I'm lying. I have to think of something fast before she finds out I'm trying to lie to her.